Favorite Caribbean souvenir

Dec 1st, 2005, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Favorite Caribbean souvenir

What are your favorite souvenirs to bring back from the Caribbean?

We're heading to the Western Caribbean on a cruise (never been there) and would like to know what to look for in areas like Mexico, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. Thanks.
Dec 1st, 2005, 04:40 AM

My favorite souvenir is a little watercolor of a Caribbean market scene I picked up on my last trip to Nevis. But the ones I use most often are the several pairs of pottery coffee mugs that are made by local craftspeople--I picked up a different pair on Antigua, Barbados, Jamaica and Tortola.

In Jamaica, consider bringing back some of their wonderful Blue Mountain coffee. An ephemeral souvenir to be sure, but a VERY tasty one.
Dec 1st, 2005, 05:58 AM

I always buy a new hat, (baseball cap), of the island that I visit. We also like to bring home one thing that reminds of of each particular island we've been to, whether it be a beach scene enclosed in a glass bubble, or a simply magnet for the fridge. I still have my first Carib coaster that we brought home from our very first caribbean trip 17 years ago.

But the best thing we bring home is memories which you can't buy. Of course we certainly try and capture them on film. We usually have our best photographs blown up to 8x10s and frame them.
Dec 1st, 2005, 06:43 AM
KVR

In Mexico, I love the chocolates infused with Grand Mariner or Contreuas(I'm sure I didn't spell that right.) I have not seen them at any other destination.

On Grand Cayman, we like the Rum Cakes. We brought a bunch back for family and friends and they loved them also. We thought Blackbeards Rum Shoppe had better prices and tasted better.

We also pick up a photo frame bearing the Island name that we are on. I have a real collection going now. Also we get a variety of T-shirts. DH wears them all the time.

We try not to get too many knick-knacks. After so many trips, they just clutter up the house.

I agree about the pictures. I have pictures everywhere of all our trips since 2000. Love to look at the everyday.
Dec 1st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

KVR -- How difficult is it to pack the rum cakes? Do they take up much room? Would it be better to order them online and have them shipped home instead of carrying them on a plane? Do you know the price difference between online purchases (ie. about $33 large/$25 small sizes which include S&H) and on-site purchases?

Thanks.
Dec 1st, 2005, 07:33 AM

It's actually a souvenir belonging to a friend: a baseball cap from Coral Bay, St. John with skull and crossbones and the inscription "Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves" which is hysterical if you know my friend.
Dec 1st, 2005, 07:37 AM

From Jamaica -- paintings and carvings. Tropical plant/tree seeds.
Also Jamaican logwood honey which we have a chocolatier make up into truffles with Venezuelan 72% chocolate for guests. Some photos -- but always 'the mind's eye' does it better.
Dec 1st, 2005, 09:45 AM
KVR

GBelle,

We bought the Rum Cakes at Blackbeards. They had a special buy 6 small cakes and get 1 large free. That was 2003. If I remember correctly, I paid about $30-$35. The cakes are pre-packaged in individual boxes, so it wasn't hard carry them on board the plane in a shopping bag.
Dec 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM

1. the mugs i have tea in every morning.
2. a watercolor done by an islander that hangs in my den.
3. ** those images in my mind **
Dec 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM

Ahh, Tiverton, those chocolates! I'm actually not a big chocolate fan but those truffles were lovely.
Dec 1st, 2005, 11:34 AM

I normally get a T shirt..wherever we go.My husband gets a ball cap.I also like to get a handmade item of some sort..a bracelet,necklace..etc.

Christie
Dec 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM

What? Nobody buys a "man in a barrel?"
Dec 1st, 2005, 07:31 PM

My flip flops from Peter Island. I love them and they last. Mine are 4 years old and still going strong.
Dec 1st, 2005, 08:46 PM

local jewerly and a bit of the "local" sand!!!!
Dec 2nd, 2005, 12:17 PM

MEMORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM

People who visit the island I reside on like to find one of a kind "blue beads" along the beach or when diving.

Interestingly enough, Manhattan island was bought from the Indians, by the Dutch, with 30 "Statian Blue Beads," so they are a rare find today and very precious.

Legend has it that if you find one, you will return to the island again and again. I have about ten, so that must be why I'm still here.
Dec 2nd, 2005, 12:51 PM

My favorite souvenirs are shells I find on the beach and I also collect sand from the different islands I visit.

Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
EJC

My wife and I were in Dom. Rep. and bought a gift 4 my bro-in-law. It was a hat made of palm leaves.He got so many compliments that I wished I had bought it 4 myself.This was about 6 years ago and he still has the hat.Hmmm,,I think I'll go visit my bro-in-law.
Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:03 AM

We like to find somekind of art that is signed by the maker and has the island name on it.
It could be pottery or wall art or a carving.
It always cracks me up when a vendor approaches with necklaces made from stones "from the volcano"
Yeah, OK, looks like the same necklace from the last island!
That said, I do usually buy at least one necklace that I can wear to do a small part to help out, Also,I can show the next vendor that I'm all set, (I call it my immunity necklace), and when I get home it can hang as mojo from my trucks rearview!
Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM

Rum, rum cream, rum cakes, rum balls....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO