Reload this Page >

Fancy resort or private condo/villa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:04 AM
vacationer

I'm curious--if money were no object which would you choose for your caribbean vacation and why? My hypothesis is that people who prefer the former tend to be more extroverted and those who prefer the latter tend to be more introverted. What do you think? Any credence to this?

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 03:15 PM
Mary

We now stay in villas but started out at (small) resorts. I am eternally grateful for the concierge services at those resorts -- island experiences, living & how to go about everything was explained or handled. I now feel I can go anywhere & get along but I highly recommend the concierge experience for novices.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 09:14 AM
michele

I'm far from an introvert, but prefer a private condo or luxury villa. We sometimes travel, just the two of us, sometimes as part of 3 couples sharing a villa. <BR>I prefer to get away from what I experience everyday. I live in NYC and have a huge family...<BR>I want to get away from the noise, busy restaurants, networking wall street crowd, indulgent parents, whining kids and the like. (We also like to INDULGE in creative romance, and love our privacy. ) <BR>We also would rather find some cool local spots to eat and drink and chat with the locals, then to be among the pretentious yuppies that we've come across at most of these luxury resorts.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Julie

We usually rent a condo or villa. I hate hanging around crowded resort pools. In general, we go on vacation to spend time with each other, not to meet and party with new people. Villas also give you more personal space. If we don't feel like cooking for ourselves we eat at restaurants. This way we also avoid being locked into a meal plan that keeps you eating the same resort food all week long. I guess I'm not really an extrovert, so maybe we fit the pattern. The villa we rented in St. John was the best vacation of our lives by far.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Nan

I agree with Julie. The best vacation in the Caribbean for us was also renting a villa on St. John.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:51 AM
lawren

I would take the villa route everytime. We like to have room to spread out and a hotel room no matter how nice is just 2 beds and a bath.<BR><BR>We started renting villas on St John 2 years ago and found them to be more relaxing than resorts.<BR><BR>We are certainly not introverts I just don't need to share a pool at a resort!<BR><BR>L