Search

Activities/things to see and do at King's Wharf, Bermuda

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Activities/things to see and do at King's Wharf, Bermuda

Hello,

I will be taking a cruise this September to Bermuda through Royal Caribbean on the Nordic Empress, and would like to know what activities/sightseeing there is in that area. I have not seen much on that area so far, it seems like Hamilton and St. George have more to offer. Has anyone been on this cruise and perhaps can suggest activities while we're docked?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 03:53 AM

From what I understand, there's not a lot to do out there. We took a Bermuda cruise last year, and specifically avoided an itinerary that included King's Wharf. The fortunate thing is, you're not docked there very long.

Lots of people rent the scooters, which you may want to do when you're at King's Wharf so that you can explore. We had excellent luck with the Bus system in Bermuda. It was inexpensive, reliable, and easy to use. Good luck and have fun.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:55 AM

Within walking distance are an old fort, a shopping area and a small beach. You can do any number of excursions from there or simply take the bus (very convenient) to Horseshoe Bay, the light house, or even into Hamilton (the ship docks there as well).
There's also a great "bar"/pub to get the "Dark and Stormy".
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. As we are going to be docked at Hamilton for 24 hours already (and King's Wharf for an entire day and the next day sadly), I wonder how long it would take to get to St. George from King's Wharf? Is that feasible by bus?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:35 AM

We took the bus from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay, which is about half of the way to the Royal Naval Dockyards. According to previous poster the bus runs to King's Wharf so it shouldn't be a problem. The ride is not that long at all, and there are several other Bays right along the bus route. My advice, when you board the bus just ask the driver to let you know when your stop is there, because it is otherwise hard to tell. The drivers were all very pleasant and announced our stops as requested.

We took a hansom carriage ride around Hamilton after dinner. It was very pleasant and gives you a chance to see more of that port. You can try to haggle with the drivers.....and try to pick one with some personality (if possible). Our driver was very friendly and knowledgeable, offering to take pictures outside different places.

If you can, go to Ask Jeeves and type in "Where can I find a map of Horseshoe Bay, Bermuda?" and it will show you where all the Bays are in relation to the ports/cities. It is much harder to take the bus in ST. George. You may want to rent a scooter (most people did). We opted for a taxi.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 06:03 AM

The new high speed ferries run directly from Dockyard to St. George 3 times daily Mon - Fri during the cruise ship season. The journey takes around 45 mins and is a great little cruise in it's own right. By bus it would take at least twice as long. Enjoy your visit.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

thanks Lizzie and Simbas! The ferry sounds like a good idea to get to St. George.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 03:38 AM

If I recall, your ship will be docked in St. George for part of your stay. While in King's Wharf, I would visit the bays between Hamilton and King's Wharf. However, the ferry ride sounds nice in and of itself.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:09 AM

We are taking our 10th trip to Bermuda in September and specifically taking the NCL Sea instead of NCL Majesty because it does go to King's Wharf...which is the Dockyard..We hadn't been to the Dockyard in years (when we first went it was not much to see) and on our last trip wanted to spend more time because of the galleries and additional sites..Hamilton is great for shopping and a little sightseeing, but nothing special. Frommer's says that if you have one place to visit it's St. George....and that I recommend highly.. I thnk you can take a high speed ferry from Hamilton to St. George. St. George is charming with it's cobblestoned streets, Tobacco Cay, pubs, etc. Go to..http://server2.ezboard.com/bbermudashortsforum
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Try the Wildcat adventure tour and if you are in Hamilton check out Hartley's Undersea Walk.....they are both out of this world!