Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

FAMILY RESORT IDEAS..BEACH....REASONABLE!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:10 PM
karen

Does anyone have any great ideas of a resort that caters to families, and is warm in the first week of april? Do not want to travel all the way to Hawaii, but want nice clear beaches!! Looking for somewhere that will not break the bank! Thanks!!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:21 PM
GM

April is usually out of high season price ranges pretty much everywhere in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>My sister LOVED their family vacation in the Dominican, and the prices are so low, it's unreal. She said Punta Cana was gorgeous.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 04:23 AM
me

High season for the caribbean and Florida is December 15th to April 15th. School vacation and holidays weeks during that time frame will incur a holiday surcharge also. Follow the link below to get to a site I found helpful when choosing my vacation with my family.<BR>http://travelwithkids.about.com/cs/familyresorts/

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:25 PM
Jaan

GM is right. Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic has spectacular beaches and caters to families. It's very reasonably priced as well. It's easily our family's favorite destination!! Two resorts I can personally recommend are the Iberostars (either Bavaro, Dominicana, or Punta Cana) or the new SuperClubs Breezes (was Lti Sol de Plata Punta Cana Beach resort until this fall). Either would be a good choice. For reviews on these resorts plus many others, go to this website:<BR>www.debbiesdominicantravel.com<BR>It's won't break the bank!!

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:57 PM
lisa

Dear Karen,<BR> I have a beautiful condo that I rent out on St. Thomas in point pleasant resort. Very, very reasonable for family and friends. It is approx. 1100 sq ft.and right out the door is the beach and one of the resort pools that you can actually see the kids from. There is a beautiful beach right outside your door that is amazing. <BR>Sincerely,<BR>Lisa

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:29 PM
fyi

Traditionally high season does end around April 15 but it depends on the date of Easter. Sometimes you will find that because it is late in the month the higher prices continue until then. Seems to me that Easter next year is later in April.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 02:33 AM
zzz

The first week of April can still demand a higher price. It all depends on supply and demand, and how often people are traveling. Punta Cana would be good, and I wouldn't rule out PDC in Mexico. I would wait and check prices out at a later date as in the early winter months.