Fabian bye-bye

Sep 5th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Fabian bye-bye

As many of us here in the U.S. Virgin Islands can attest to after Hugo (mainly St. Croix in 86) and Marilyn (mainly St. Thomas in 95) so glad that Fabian veered off and caused you only minimal discomfort.
Just wanted to let you know that we were thinking about you. Cheers.
Sep 5th, 2003, 08:48 PM

As reported tonight from the National Hurricane Center.

"WTNT45 KNHC 060311
TCDAT5
HURRICANE FABIAN DISCUSSION NUMBER 38
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM EDT FRI SEP 05 2003

FABIAN IS MOVING AWAY FROM BERMUDA. LATEST OBSERVATIONS FROM THE
BERMUDA WEATHER SERVICE...USING A HAND HELD ANEMOMETER BECAUSE THE
NORMAL WIND MEASURING EQUIPMENT WAS DESTROYED...WAS 50 TO 60 KTS.
PRELIMINARY ANALYSIS INDICATES THAT FABIAN HAS HIT BERMUDA AS A
CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR/SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE."

Doesn't sound like it was "minimal discomfort" to the people of Bermuda. My thoughts and prayers go out to them as they recover from this major Category 3 hurricane.

Steve
Sep 6th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Minimal discomfort.....those poor people were slammed by a cat 3 hurricane. I'm sure everyone has seen the pics by now. Thoughts and prayers for those missing and for everyone on Bermuda.

Isabel is on the way and there is another wave behind her. Keep your fingers crossed.

It appears Dr. Gray was correct again.
Sep 6th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Yes, Sandyfeet, let's keep our fingers crossed. We made it thru the first week of September (I know you know what that means) unscathed. Let's hope the rest of the month goes as smooth.

My thoughts are with the people of Bermuda.
Sep 6th, 2003, 11:13 AM

To: Resident

Hurricane Hugo was Sept. 17 and 18, 1989, not 1986. All the U.S. Virgin Islands were hit hard, with St. Croix taking a bit bigger blow. I lost nearly all the windows in my house in St. John and didn't have power or phone for nearly three months.

St. Thomas and St. John got it a bit harder in Hurricane Marilyn, which hit Sept. 15 and 16, 1995, but St. Croix also saw its share of devastation.

With four people missing in Bermuda and the island in tatters, minimal discomfort is a gross understatement.

The people of Bermuda are also in my thoughts as they begin the long recovery process from this devastating blow.
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Just devastating. My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Bermuda.
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:53 PM

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage It will be along time before beautiful Bermuda gets over this..
Sep 6th, 2003, 05:23 PM

Hurricanes are very scarey to me, I can remember Hurricane Carol or Donna, not sure which but I was a about 5 and I watched our garage "march" down the lawn.

When Hurricane Andrew hit the Bahamas it was a Category 5 and it wiped out all plant life on Harbour Island, there was not a blade of grass or leaf on any tree on the entire island. It amazed me to see the island a scant 6 months later fully green again.

My prayers join all of yours for the people of Bermuda and especially for the four that are missing.
Sep 6th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

My humble apologies for my iniitial post when I thought, after going online and obviously getting some erroneous information, that Fabian had briefly gone past Bermuda.

Yes, Islandpaddler. You are quite right in saying that Hugo was in 1989 rather than 1986. My main recall of hurricanes (I've been a resident of the .V.I. since 1984 and I'm lousy about dates in general) centers around Marilyn on September 15, 1995 which put everything else on a back shelf.
The house I was living in was trashed and I lost a whole part of my life. And I was without power for four months. And I trudged through all the long lines for FEMA help and ended up with $1200 in aid after losing $11,000, And I watched people taking advantage of "the system", taking those army-type meals and the propane stoves and then selling them on the street. And I learned that the fittest survive. And I carried on.
Again, I apologize for my initial post which was borne of misinformation and ignorance.
To all in Bermuda, hang in there and be strong. This whole thing will change your life and it takes a very long to recover. Those of you who've suffered substantial loss will be numbed for quite a long time. Life will eventually revert to a degree of normalcy but the angst will remain for - maybe - ever. You may not ever be quite the same again but you'll find a strength within you which you never knew was there,
Sep 9th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Some amazing photos on www.bermynet.com
Now Isabel is out there, and not sure where she will head!
Sep 9th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Hi Penny,

I'm watching this one too! Hopefully it will spare all the islands. Since we're heading to Cap in November I need a back-up trip just in case!
Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't need it. Still too soon to tell, I guess we'll know in a day or so.
Sep 9th, 2003, 08:51 AM

SandyFeet-me too! I am heading there late November and Jumby!Need a back up-
did Jalousie after Luis. Did CuisinArt post Lenny! Lets hope this one skips everyone!
Sep 9th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I'm thinking Cobblers Cove Barbados or maybe Jumby....But I would think that if Anguilla is hit, so would Antuiga....
Have to wait and see, hopefully plans will not change for anyone.
Sep 9th, 2003, 09:29 AM

It really all depends on the force of the storm. I was thinking about Sandy Lane-it looks wonderful, I saw it on the travel channel last week. The rooms reminded me of a 5 star London hotel. I know the beach there is great!
I was thinking of Cobblers Cove too.
Again I am trying to think positive for all.
Sep 9th, 2003, 10:11 AM

I priced Sandy Lane today. I am not a tight wad by any means but I would not pay this price - 9 nights in a lux ocean room is $10,819.00 (inc. breakfast & r/t tfrs) add the meal plan (dinner) and it adds an additional $1287.00. By the time you add airfare (r/t business) its close to $15,000.00. A regular ocean room is 900.00 per night as opposed to 1,100, but it is not as big. I know I would not be happy staying in a garden view room, so I don't even bother.

Cobblers Cove with r/t bus class air, tfrs, ocean front suite, with meal plan (dine around plan) is $8830.00. $$ much better and it looks great.

I am being positive too, but it never hurts to have a plan B....
Sep 9th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Wow-and that is off season rates too!
Plan B is always a good idea. Lenny messed up our trip to Little Dix Bay, but we were able to go to Caneel again.

Cobblers is suppose to be very nice,
we went to Barbados in l993. Its a nice island, it has the best sunsets!
Sep 9th, 2003, 01:53 PM

We all need to keep our ears out for Isabell. The hurricane was upgraded to a Cat 4 today with more building and the warm waters, it could well be a Cat 5 by the time it gets to the Carribean, and that means it could mean total destruction for one of our beloved Islands or somewhere in the States.

YOu might find the www.hurricane2003.com to be helpful in planning if you have vacation plans on the horizon.

Lets all pray this one is just a big bag of wind and it stays far from land.