Search

exumas or eleuthera for december???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exumas or eleuthera for december???

Hello,
We are a family of snorkelers/nature lovers/ and shore fisherman wondering between the two different islands in the Bahamas for christmas holiday. Im assuming exuma has warmer water but wondering about water conditions/waves for snorkeling and fishing. Thanks for any help.
susan
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 04:30 AM

I stayed at a house on Eleuthera in December over December holidays for a couple of weeks. While the weather was considerably warmer than the Midwest and there were several days when I went into the water because I love the ocean and could not bear to be there and not...most of the time we wore sweatshirts, sometimes needed jeans and sweatpants. Water was cold.
I also stayed at this house (on Eleuth.) over a March break and found the weather delightful, snorkeling fabulous and loved walking miles of beaches and discovering tucked away coves and beautiful views. They do have a problem with tar wash-up and occasionally other cruise backwash.
Fishing was good though I was not one of the fishermen.
No personal experience of Exuma though friends love it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:33 PM

Have been to Great Exuma over 20 times and several times over Xmas and New Years. Fun time in the islands. Not all the Xmas rush and hub bub like the states. Recommend looking into Club Peace and Plenty as a place to stay. It is in Georgetown. NO Beach but they run a boat twice a day to Stocking Island which is awesome. They have a beach bar/restaurant there. The thing about staying in "Town" is that's where all the activity is. P&P has a managers cocktail party on Monday, Diners cocktail party on Friday, Dance on Sat and on New Years Eve. There is a Friday Dance at Two Turtles too. Another advantage of staying at P&P is they run a shutle to the bonefish lodge for dinner on Thurs Sat and Sun which is a nice place to eat And watch Karen feed the sharks. Lovely setting and very good food. Not a fisherman but you can contact Bob Hyde at the bonefish lodge to schedule a trip. On Boxing Day the day after Xmas they have an island Junkanoo at sunrise. Really fun. Not the glitz of feathers and sequins in Nassau but a real out island Junkanoo. Sometimes they repeat it on New Years day morning. Loved Xmas and New Years on Great Exuma.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:45 PM

To add to Howard's post, on Sundays you get a taxi boat ride to Stocking Island at the "Chat N Chill" for a pig roast.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info,
Howard C. have you heard of the palm bay beach resort, the peace and plenty is booked for the holiday, and from the web site it looks nice. I have two teen boys that are really into sharks and would love to see some in the wild. We have snorkeled St John, Cayman, Cozume and Maui and they were dissapointed they didnt see a shark.
Susan
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:15 AM

I've been through Palm Bay, and would stay there. It's right next to Peace and Plenty Beach Club. (not the original Peace and Plenty) It's painted different pastel colors and looked very comfortable. they have 2 restuarants, and you can walk to one next door and one at PPBC.
I've never seen a shark there, but I've seen sharks a couple of times in Turks and Caicos. I did not snorkel in Exumas, but the snokeling didn't seem like it would be the greatest. However, there are some great excursions you can do, try bonefishing, (see if you can get Jay Jay, ask about him at PPBC) and a day trip to Long Island with Captain Lewless. the day trip goes through all of these cays that have gorgeous beaches. Also look into Starfish excursions. We rented a boat through them, and took an afternoon trip through some cays, each beach was more beautiful than the one before. (Don't miss Moriah Cay) We also rented a car 1 day, drow through the settlements, and spent the day on Tropic of Cancer Beach, a complete stunner. Stocking island also has stunning beaches.
I could be wrong, but most of the good snorkeling is at Thunderball National Park. you would have to fly to Staniel Cay, then take a boat out. If you do that, you would probably see some sharks, and you also see the swimming pigs. You can actually set up a flight to do this, at the time I looked at this (4 years ago?) it was about $450 for the whole plane. There is primarily 1 pilot who flies for this, if you ask around, they will tell you how to get a hold of him.
Fishing is excellent there. Water always seems smooth when I'm there.
It's a gorgeous place!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:37 AM

Swimming pigs????????

Yeah, right, when pigs fly maybe!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:44 AM

It's true! Check this out!
http://www.bytewyse.com/ladylaura/20010301.htm

Now I've seen everything.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:57 AM

Surprised they are full for Xmas already. Did you ask about Peace and Plenty Beach Club ?? It is about 1 1/2 miles from twon and walkable. They run a shuttle to town several times a day and to P&P to catch the ferry to stocking island. They have a pool and small beach. Palm Bay Beach Club is very nice. Pool same small beach. Don't know if they run a boat to Stocking island. If you don't stay at a P&P property believe it is about $8 per person to take their boat. Call Antionette at P&P and ask if there is a waiting list for Xmas in case someone cancels. Tell her Howard Cann told you to call. Palm Bay Beach Club contact Mazell. We're good friends. Peace and Plenty Bonefish lodge is another option. Talk to Karen or Bob Hyde. Don't think you have to be a bonefisherman to stay there but most are. Probably the best restaurant on the island with the exception of Four Seasons. Bonefish Lodge is a ways out of town and you would need a car