Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Elbow Cays here we come, questions on skiff/boat rental

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please advise on boat/skiff rental?? Extended family members accompanying my family for my 50th birthday celebration and we have rented two houses together and want to have several day trips out to explore, Guana Cay, Green Turtle Cay, Fowl Cay, beaches off of Lubbers,etc.
Brother-in-law is experienced diver and my 15 yr old son and myself are taking scuba diving lessons next month, may want to do a couple of dives, but definantly want to snorkel alot, alot, since that is what most of family is comfortable with.

My husband and I, and brother-in-law and brother have owned boats for 25+ yrs, both fresh water and saltwater(brother-in-law lives in Destin, Florida area and my husband is native Floridian) so some of us are very familiar with the sea, but of course are clueless about the area down around where we want to go, so now that I have given you my life story, my question.

Can we safely without hurting any coral formations scoot around and explore on our own in a couple of boats(may have as many as 15 in our party) or for safety issues and not to miss sites do we need to go with a private boat rental /day trip/snorkel business? I only want to go out with local dive business to dive, someone who I can feel comfortable with as far as safety, familiarity of great sites not to miss, etc.
Please advise of any snorkel and/or dive outfitters? and your thoughts on what might suit us best.
Thank you all so very much for the input/advise.
So many of you have been very gracious to share your insight.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:57 AM

The Abacos are great and even better when you have a boat to explore them with. Definitely buy the cruising guide that I referred you to in your previous post. We rented a 20' Hydrasport from Sea Horse Rentals. As soon as you decide on the boat, or boats?, reserve it! The Abaco Board has numerous postings on this subject. Not many rental companies allow travel to Green Turtle. I would limit my travel to the north to Guana and Little Harbour to the south. There's a ton to see in this area, especially to the south.

Froggies does dive trips out of Hopetown. Fowl Cay can be tricky in your own boat because of the coral heads. Sandy Cay is O.K. on your own boat.

You've made a great choice on location to celebrate your birthday.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Roberto,
Thank you for your kindness and input, I appreciate your reply.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Someone mentioned the Abaco Board in your initial post. No better source for Abaco information. Start with the sidebars, search the archives, and ask questions.

http://coconuttelegraph.net/cgi-bin/...ds/abacos.cgi?
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

RobertoB, Callaloo, and all who were so helpful, thank you so very much. we are booked into two houses in July, 14 of us going right now and maybe 4 more if they can work it out. Thanks for all the great info, got our golf carts rented, working on deciding how many days we want to take a boat out ourselves and how many days we want a snorkeling/scuba outfitter to take us out.
We are so psyched, we are getting very excited, just planning our trip. This is going to be such a blast with my brother and family, my sister and family and my brotherinlaw and family, of course my husband,my two boys and their best friends, will give a report when we get back in July, oh so far away. Thank you again.
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:01 PM

Hi Denette,

We rented from Island Marine, stayed on Elbow Cay, north end... if you have any questions re snorkeling, lobstering, navigating, give me a shout.

You have selected one of the most beautiful places we've ever experienced doing similiar activities.
Fun, fun.

Happy planning!