Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

El Conquistador in Puerto Rico or Atlantis in the Bahamas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, After our cruise ends in San Juan, we are staying an extra week in the area, due to flight availability, and need some advice on where to stay with our 3 children, ages 7 to 12. We have stayed at the Atlantis before, and loved it, but have heard that the El Conquistador would be fun with the kids, plus the price is much better. I greatly appreciate any suggetions/input! Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:23 AM

We stayed at both and my children loved them both. If you've been to Atlantis you might want to try something different. El Conquistador is a 45-60 minute ride from San Juan. The views from the resort are beautiful. The only beach it has is a private island which was very nice. Some people do not like to take the 15 minute ferry (free)to the island. The food is comparable to Atlantis in quality and price. Atlantis might be a little better with some of the new restaurants I believe they added. I felt El Conquistador was more relaxing. The ocean water was warm and my children spent most of their time in the ocean vs the pools. It was the opposite at Atlantis. They do have one slide in the main pool that the boys enjoyed. It also seemed easier to make fiends and see the same kids since the resort is not as big as Atlantis.

We rented a car (they have an Avis at the airport and at the hotel)and visited Old San Juan and El Yunque Rainforest which is very close. We did not venture off to try restuarants that were close by but I wish we did.

The golf course looked great but my husband did not have time to try it.

Overall, both Atlantis and El Conquistador have a 3.5 rating on Tripadvisor. Some reviews state El Conquistador looks worn. I think sometimes a bad experience is just bad luck (bad room assignment) or that someone has paid too much for a room. We paid about $275 in April of 05.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for your input! It's always nice to hear from someone who has experienced them both!