Reload this Page >

East End vs. The Sound???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Ric

I am looking forward to my next trip to the Caribbean and have chosen Grand Cayman, but I am still undecided between two resorts on different parts of the island: the Grand Caymanian, for which I've seen excellent reviews but heard lacks a swimming beach, and the Royal Reef in the East End.<BR><BR>From what I've read, I'd probably need a rental car if I chose to stay on either, but I'd probably want to be in a convenient location since I am travelling by myself (main focus of my trip is diving).<BR><BR>Any recommendations on which place would be best?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Sandy

Ric,<BR>I would pick the Royal Reef over the Grand Caymanian! Yes, you will need a car for either place, but if diving is your main focus, I don't think you could beat Royal Reef. Excellent dive shop on site, Frontier Divers, and diving on east end is great. Also, the snorkeling and just swimming in the water makes Royal Reef better. I don't want to stay somewhere that I have to be shuttled to another beach. I'm not a diver, but have friends who are, and they love diving the east end and north of the island.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Ric

Sandy, many thanks for your reply, it does helps a lot. How far away from the "action" would the Royal Reef be. Since I'll be travelling single I would like to have alternatives for dinner, etc. after diving.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:01 PM
anon

I stayed at both resorts earlier this spring so I can give you some recent advice. Both resorts are excellent, other than Grand Caymanian's beach. The Grand Caymanian is closer to shops, restaurants, etc.. However, the Royal Reef is right next door to Morritt's which has entertainment almost every night, and both have nice restaurants. Either way you will need a car. It's about a 40 minute drive from Royal Reef to Georgetown.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Sue

After you eat at Royal Reef and Morritt's, you can head west toward Rum Point and try Portofino's, Over the Edge, Red Ginger, Driftwood, Rum Point and Kaibo Yacht Club. Definitely go for Royal Reef!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Kim

Definitely stay at Royal Reef!!! Ocean Frontiers is an excellent dive operation we have dove with them on both of our trips to Cayman. The East end of the island is pristine compared to the west as far as diving goes. We have not stayed at the Royal Reef, but at Morritt's next door twice. The Royal Reef looks like a fantastic place. <BR><BR>If diving is your focus...you may want to check out the Cayman Diving Lodge. Ocean Frontiers staff talk highly of them.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:53 AM
robin

I've heard that the Grand Caymanian is a bad place to stay because they hound you to buy a time share. Any comments?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Ted

East End diving is amazing and far superior to the diving off 7MB, so if that's the purpose of your trip, head East! <BR><BR>But be advised that it is an isolated area, far from the shopping, restaurants, and other diversions of 7MB (as well as the crowds and traffic). Here's a thought: If you're staying for a week, why not split your visit between two places? Wouldn't make much sense if you're only staying for a few days, but something to thing about.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 06:41 PM
anon

In response to Robin: We stayed at the Grand Caymanian this spring and didn't have any people bugging us about buying a timeshare. We were asked once if we wanted to talk to someone about one, and we said no, and weren't asked about it again.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Ric

I just returned from GC and had a wonderful time, the diving is just awesome! Thank you everyone on the info provided, I ended up staying at the Grand Caymanian and I must say I have no regrets, the service was excellent and so were the resort facilities. It is a little out of the main road were all the resorts are located but that turns out to be pretty convenient if you are looking for some peace and quiet.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Jon

Does the Grand Cayman have a beach, and/or swimming? How about getting around, do you need a rental car? Considering the same 2 resorts as well on 7mi Beach (Plantation Village) and would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Tracy

Both are really nice resorts and I would suggest a rental car for both, you are right. Grand Caymanian doesn't have a great beach, the Royal does. The following site offers info on both properties, the ins and outs of both. Both offer diving right from the property. I would also suggest shore diving as there are some great locations <BR><BR>http://www.grandcaymantimeshare.com<BR><BR>&lt;A href="http://www.grandcaymantimeshare.com"&gt;Cayman Resort Info&lt;/A&gt;