Early January in Bahamas

Oct 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Early January in Bahamas

Am thinking about going to Elbow Cay (Hope Town Harbour Lodge)in early January 2007 with husband and 19 y.o. son. Is there any night life? Will it be cold at that time of the year for snorkeling and beach? Any other suggestions?
Oct 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM

It can be cool in the Bahamas during January. Average daily high temperature is in the low 70's F. and it doesn't get above 75 F. often. Average lows are in the mid-to-high 60's F.
Oct 14th, 2006, 05:26 AM

A. traveler is "right" except for maybe T&C because it is further south so you can get to 80 high temps based on experience and what I read. But, the water temperature may bewarmer for unfortunately the Weather Service is predicting an El Nino beginning in a month or so. That means the water temps could be near 75-76 but that is not good for some types of coral if you are interesting in snorkeling with healthy co;ors with a lot of vibrant colored fish.
Oct 24th, 2006, 10:52 AM

i've been going to hope town every year for easter for as long as i can remember. so unfortunatly i can't comment on the weather in january...

but as for nightlife, there isn't a ton to do, but thats the best part of the island. i'm 25 and it was a little boring going during my teen years, but capt'n jack's or the harbour's edge usually have live music & i'm pretty sure they serve rum.

also, if you can get to a full moon party on lubbers quarters (an island across from Tahiti beach) you will have a great time.

Oct 24th, 2006, 11:47 AM

I was at Green Turtle Island, Abaco, in early January, 1995. The air temp was a lovely 75 degrees but the water was an unswimmable 64 degrees. I did not swim at all but I did see others while I was bonefishing on a very sunny day (and saw plenty of barracudas thirty yards from the swimmers!). The night life was negligible on the island.