traveling between USVI and BVI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see that ferry schedules are extensive between the islands, but - having never been there - I'm unsure how to orchestrate this.

I'm considering flying into St. Thomas and immediately taking the ferry to St. John... staying at Caneel for four nights. Then I will need to make my way to Biras Creek. What is the best way to accomplish that from St. John? Biras provides transportation from Beef Island or Virgin Gorda, FWIW.

Would it make sense to take the ferry to West End... then a taxi to Beef Island? Or is there a better way.

Also, what is immigration like when going between the USVI and BVI? I realize I need a passport, but are there delays involved? I don't want to lose too much time.

I thought about adding a few days on Guana at the end, too, and someone had suggested a water taxi for that.

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM

It's been a long time since I did the ferry between ST. John and Virgin Gorda so I doubt I can be of too much help. If others on this forum are unable to help try posting your question on the BVI forum on www.traveltalkonline.com. It's a very active forum with lots of experts on getting around the BVI's.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll do that!
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:51 AM

Here's a thought. Instead of Biras Creek, how about Little Dix Bay, a sister resort to Caneel Bay that is also on Virgin Gorda? Rosewood Resorts has some combination packages that include both resorts, and there is a nonstop, non-public ferry directly from Caneel Bay to Little Dix Bay. It takes about 90 minutes.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am completely sold on Biras. I know it will take a bit more effort, but I'm hoping the ferry or water taxi will actually be a bit of fun.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
owa

obxxtreme, The suggestion to go to Traveltalk was a good one. Active board and everyone is very helpful.

When are you going to Biras Creek? We are going in the spring. I would really appreciate a trip report when you get back. Happy planning. Owa

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:21 PM

From what I recall, you only need to go through customs once in the BVI's, so you could very well take the ferry over to the West End and then a taxi. Customs is a sinch, going through just as you get off the ferry, and then you can grab a taxi. Also, I think there's a direct ferry to VG, but I don't think it runs more than twice a week.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:03 AM

www.bviwelcome.com

It has a complete ferry schedule. I have done that ferry many times. You can take a ferry from St John to Virgin Gorda, the St Thomas, VG ferry stops there. Look at the schedule and see what makes sense, I am not sure which days of the week you are going , etc.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:34 AM

obx, I was the one who mentioned in a different post that you could probably get a water taxi from Guana directly to Virgin Gorda. I don't know for certain, and I did just get a notice from Guana saying they have a new manager, so things could have changed...but when I was there in 2003, Guana was offering daytrips to The Baths for guests, and I know for a fact that one couple while we were there went to Peter Island for dinner one night; then again, that couple were the former managers' daughter & her boyfriend. It may be much more expensive than what you'd like to pay, but it's worth contacting Guana directly to see if they would be able to arrange a private transfer. Hope you're able to get the answer you want at the right price!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:04 AM

If you are definitely going to Caneel first, then Biras, then you can probably take a ferry from St. John to the main dock in Tortola (don't get off in West End). You can take a taxi to Beef Island where the Biras fast boat can pick you up.

Have a plan, but then do what we often do when changing resorts - the first day you are at Caneel, tell them you need transportation to Biras and see what they can suggest and arrange. The two resorts will usually coordinate the best way. Has worked for us for over 15 years!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM

In 2004 while staying at Caneel they arranged for Dohms water taxi to take me from Caneel to Peter Island.

The will also be more then happy to walk you through the option of taking the ferry through West End if that’s your preference.