Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Dunn's River Falls, YS Falls, Mayfield Falls?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:20 AM
Maria

Staying at Sandals Negril and was planning on an excursion to Dunn's River Falls. Understand this this is a long trip from Negril and there are other falls to consider instead, YS Falls and Mayfield falls. The excursion sheet Sandals sent me does not list these other falls. Any comments or suggestions? Take the long trip or would YS or Mayfield falls be just as nice? Thanks for your help, it helps tremendously!!!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:54 AM
ohliz

That's odd that they aren't on the sheet. I'd suggest taking a private driver/guide anyway, then you can go when you want, stop along the way, not have to leave when the bus does, etc. If you want recommendations let me know.<BR><BR>YS is often combined in tour packages with Appleton Rum Factory or Black River Safari, they are near. About 2 hours from Negril. YS doesn't require any hiking or climbing or lots of stairs, you take a tracor-pulled jitney to the falls, through a working cattle ranch.<BR><BR>Mayfield is in the Dolphin Head mtns about 1 1/2 hours from Negril, lovely drive to it. This one requires some hiking and stairs - my 3 year old did it with help, my 5 year old without help, but there is more walking involved than with YS. Mayfield is called a Riverwalk because you actually do climb along the river a way, through swimmable pools and stuff.<BR><BR>Dunn's is about 3-4 hours from Negril. It's the only one I know of that empties riht into the ocean, there is a beach there. The other two are in the mountains in much ore rural settings. The other two are also less crowded.<BR><BR>Mayfield has a restaurant/bar near the water, YS has lovely picnic areas.<BR><BR Liz

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:47 AM
Maria

Thanks so much Liz!! The info. will be very helpful! Did you have a private guide or go with a group? I do believe Black River Safari may have been on the tour sheet though. I will check! Just worried I'll be missing out if I don't go to Dunn's River Falls! That is what everyone seems to rave about. Have you been there?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 10:24 AM
ohliz

Can you tell I have a bit of time on my hands today, and a strange reluctance to do much work? <BR><BR>Yes, we went to Dunn's when we were on our honeymoon, staying at a villa in Ironshore, 10 years ago.<BR><BR>We had a private driver/guide when we went to all 3.<BR><BR>Dunn's was the first to be developed as a tourist atttraction (except possibly Reach Falls on the east coast?), it is close to where cruise ships dock, is on the north shore by Ocho Rios, and it quite stunning, being on the water, so for all those reasons is much busier than the other two. It's very steep to climb - if you go with a group I can guarantee you will have to hold hands with lots of other people as you climb, will not be able to just stop and hang out in a pool when you feel like it. That's what I saw then and a friend who went last year on an excursion from Sandals OR confirmed that she had to also. Maybe if you make a scene they ltet you climb alone, I'm not sure.<BR><BR>I haven't seen the hand-holding thing at the other two falls, probably because it is not necessary, they aren't so steep. When we went to Mayfield I'd say there were only a few people there besides us anyway.<BR><BR>I think YS and Mayfield offer a more relaxed, natural Jamaica waterfall experience. If you're interested in the Black River Safari, or Appleton Estate, or seeing the south coast of JA in general, YS is a good choice. The south coast is very different from the north or west, far fewer tourists, little development, mainly sleepy fishing villages on the coast and small towns inland. Worth checking out.<BR><BR>..perhaps some other people will come along and give you their thoughts.<BR><BR Liz

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:11 PM
Maria

Liz,<BR><BR>You have been so very helpful!! I think YS sounds much better, considering the hand holding thing. I don't want to be part of a large tourist group. You comments have really helped out! Any other suggestions on excursions let me know, or any other suggestions in general! Thanks Again!<BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:30 PM
Maria

Liz,<BR><BR>Black River Boat tour & Y's Falls is listed together as an excursion for $135 per couple. What is a river boat tour, the same as "the safari?" Dunn's River Falls Tour is $103 per couple. They extra $30 is a big deal. I'm just glad I found more out!!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:33 AM
tivertonhouse

MARIA: Stay on the South Coast rather than the long trampoose to Ochie and Dunn's River Falls.Hire a private certified guide and do YS Falls BEFORE the tourist buses descend at 9am.Or explore the Blue Hole Gardens (best April to Dec) at Roaring River or the jerkstands at Bluefields Beach. Stop for 'pepper shrimp' sold roadside in Middle Quarters,then take a pontoon boat up<BR>Black River for croc/wildlife ; a swim,an hour sunbathing on the beach before lunch or dinner at Culloden Cafe in Whitehouse also recommended. Carolyn Barrett is the guide our guests use.<BR>See jamaicaescapes.com or contact her directly at [email protected]

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Maria

These suggestions sound great! Just what we are looking for. Thanks!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:32 PM
Hugh

As falls Witchita, so falls Witchita Falls....

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 04:57 AM
curt

Maria<BR>The excursion from Sandals Negril to Dunn's River Falls is more that just the falls. We did it last year and it includes a stop at Sandals Montego Bay for potty break and drinks, then a stop at Sandals Dunns River for lunch, then a stop in the town of Ocho Rios for a short shopping spree, then on to the falls for the climb, then on the way back there was a stop at Sandals Grand Carribean for drinks. So you get to see three other Sandals properties, shop in Ocho Rios (which offers more selection than Negril), see and climb the falls, and still get back to Negril in time for dinner no problem. We had a very nice guide and driver - a young lady guide that really was good and pointed out lots of things on the way. We also stopped at a nice park/outdoor musuem (sorry forget the name) that had lots of things from the old sugar plantation days. We really enjoyed this trip and thought it was well worth the time. DR Falls are just excellent and it is a real blast to climb them. One hint, the guides that help you climb the falls expect a tip, so be sure to have some cash on your person to give them. We gave them $10US as did the other couples in our group. Also, be sure to go with proper clothing so that you can get wet. Swim suit is best with a cover up over it for travel. We were also able to leave our belongings on the Sandals van as we climbed because the guide and driver stayed with the van and kept it secure. I would say go for the trip to DR.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Jasmine

Curt, did you book your excursion right at the resort? If you don't mind me asking, how much was it per person? Just wondering if it would be cheaper to book with an outside tour guide (i.e. Carolyn Barrett of Barrett Adventures). We are going to Sandals Royal Caribbean in April and would like to take a similar excursion (also possibly horseback riding).

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 12:51 PM
tivertonhouse

Hi,Jasmine -- e-mail Carolyn at [email protected] for a sampler of her half,full and more day excursions, all with pricing,so you can compare. She can also customize any excursion to your specific interests.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Lyn

We went to Dunn's River Falls in August, 1998--absolutely HATED it. Climbing slippery rocks up a waterfall while holding hands with literally hundreds of other tourists is not my idea of fun. One extremely obese gentleman got stuck on his stomach on a rock and several of the guides had to pull him up. We bailed out half way up and didn't look back. Maybe the other falls are not so crowded.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Jasmine

I have received Carolyn Barrett's price list but unfortunately have nothing to compare it to! If anyone perhaps has a list of excursions/prices from Sandals resorts, please let me know so that I can e-mail you under separate cover and ask for a copy, thanks!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:00 AM
curt

jasmine<BR>Yes we booked with Sandals that is why we were able to stop at all the other resorts and drink and eat since we were Sandals guests. Now since you are at Royal you will be lots closer so the trip from there may be done in a different manner. I know that guests at Sandals Dunn's River and Ocho Rios get free trips to the falls. As far as cost I can not recall exactly but I think it was under $40US.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:20 AM
ohliz

Right here on this board a few months back tiverton suggested the Barretts for our manatee trip. We used them and liked Errol (Carolyn was in the states) very much.<BR><BR>If you want a custom trip just email them, Errol charged us by the hour for our trip since we weren't sure what-all we wanted to do.<BR><BR>The price was similar to that of other private drivers I have used. If you want to comparison shop check Solomon Kerr, his wife is a friend of mine and he lives near Negril and comes highly recommended also. <BR><BR>[email protected] is his and his wife's e-mail address.<BR><BR>One more to check with is Lee Weinstock - http://www.negril.com/leesmain.htm - Lee himself doesn't drive anymore but he's arranged our last three airport roundtrips and we've enjoyed Delroy and Moses very much.<BR><BR Liz

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Maria

Jasmine<BR><BR>I do have a list of excursions and prices from Sandals Negril. If interested e-mail me!