Dress Code for Cayman Restaurants

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Randy

Dress Code for Cayman Restaurants

Tips please on dress codes for the typical restaurants on Grand Cayman Island---I've been told that I need a jacket at any of the nicer places. I've also been told that shorts and a golf shirt also work at most of the restaurants. I know that GCI is more British than much of the Caribbean, but I'd love some direction from someone who has visited her before.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:51 AM
G

I haven't been to any restaurants in Grand Cayman where you would need more than shorts and a golf shirt. I believe there are a couple, like maybe the Grand Old House, but most places you're fine in casual clothes. We've been there around 10 times or so and my husband has NEVER brought a jacket.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:40 AM
anon

Wear clothes and shoes.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:20 AM
sbhlover

Where something loose enough to carry a lot of extra room on your credit card.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Scott

My wife and I were there last year, and dined at several of the upscale restaurants where nice shorts, and a collared golf style shirt was more than acceptable for guys, and a sundress for the ladies. Brought some slacks but never put them on. 99% of the restaurants there are very casual, and I definitely would NOT bring a jacket.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Carib Fan

I agree, NO jacket, but I would take a pair of slacks...docker type pants. We have stayed at a lot of places that ask that gentlemen wear long pants after 6. No coat or tie, just sport shirt and slacks. It's best to be prepared.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Sue

At the indoor sections of the most expensive restaurants (US$30+/entree) you will be in the minority if you wear shorts, especially in the winter months. Cayman can be hot in the summer so shorts are accepted eveywhere and jackets are never required. Cayman is such a wealthy island people assume it would be formal.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Scott

Sue,
You bring up a very important point: You mention the "indoor sections" of the more expensive restaurants. Well, I must say, we did eat at some of the most expensive places, but ALWAYS requested 'outdoor seating'. I can't imagine eating indoors when they have a choice of being outside in that warm weather!!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Randy

Thanks to all for the assistance. I hate to drag anything resembling the work uniform--it's my one chance to ditch the jacket and tie and I plan to do so. Thanks again Fodorites!!!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:35 PM
tom

I had a great dinner at the Grand Old House in Janaury...although they had some indoor seating, everyone sat outside. I wore long kakhi pants and a short sleeved sports shirt and sandals and was in the majority...there were other men in shorts and polo shirts, but no one in ties...some of the women were in nice dresses, but some were in shorts too. At the resort hotels (Hyatt and Westin) it was even more informal...no need to bring a jacket or a tie or even big boy shoes!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Clothes person

Tom may be the resident expert on everything, but I would still take a pair of slacks and a pair of shoes. I have seen people running out to buy slacks and paying the island rate for them at that.