Search

Dominican Rep. - Heath-Concerns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dominican Rep. - Heath-Concerns

Are there any more health problems in the DR
compared to other islands in the Caribbean?
Reading other travel sites there seem to be more problems in the DR. also, one traveller mentioned that a resort had a doctor on staff who admiistered an IV to him after he became ill What is the purpose of this IV?
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:31 PM

The only health problem in the DR is the mega-resorts. With so many people to feed, it's impossible to keep the food at a good temperature. Many people get food poisoning. Other than that..you are ok. It's pretty hit or miss. I have been going to Mexico and DR for years and never got sick, while Husband got sick last year in Mexico (at a mega-resort).

hope this helps
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When people get stomach ailments they tend to get dehydrated. The IV was probably to re-hydrate him. It happened to a friend of mine in Guatemala. She had the IV for two days.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:08 PM

Several years ago my husband got very sick in the DR. We do not know why. I have heard not to eat the fish there. A travel agent told me and he didn't listen. Not sure if that did him in or what, but I had no problem at all. He has no problem in Mexico and I always do no matter how careful I am. Still it is a slight problem and not as severe as his in DR.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 11:08 PM

We have been going to the D.R. for many years..and have never gotten sick..Many people overdo the fruit based drinks...you must drink the bottled water. The resort we went to last year had two health inspectors on site and won the highest rating of any resort in Punta Cana..but it is a smaller resort..I agree with "greenie".
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 12:38 AM

In my experience, the standard of hygiene is considerably lower in DR, inside and outside the resorts. Like many Caribbean nations, the infrastructure's old or non-existant, but I just found the DR all-around grubby. Let alone creepy. And yeah, I got sick like I've never gotten sick elsewhere in world.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:06 AM

our last trip to DR-we had read so many posts about this-we stocked up on charcoal pills-check it out at your local CVS-You can get sick anywhere-unfair to focus on just the DR-
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:23 AM

I agree with all of you except with Tivertonhouse. Tourist tend to hit the bars right away and drink too much coconut and fruity based drinks, which in many cases, spoils their vacation with stomach problems. I am sorry you had a bad experience. Where have you been in the DR that gave you such a bad a experience?

I have been lucky, however, I stay away from the run of mill mega resorts, mass production type. I would rather wait until I could afford a better place and better sorroundings. Of course, we cannot ignore the fact that the DR is still working on improvements as a country.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Sadly I agree with you...all those "free" fruit based drinks and beer are what most people go for..Our first night in P.V. there were two men falling down drunk behind us...they had just arrived a few hours earlier on the plane with us. Tourism is #1 in the D.R., the infra-structure is there especially in Punta Cana for the largest resort outside of the country. Real estate agents abound and many sports stars have been buying up property.This is not Disney, Miami Beac, Cancun or Aruba..but a country that encourages tourism and does everything possible to make it a positive experience.Let's not forget the Dominicans..who go out of their way to make your trip unforgettable by working long hard hours forlittle $$. I for one will choose the D.R. over Mexico for good value and a positive experience.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 09:29 AM

I have been to both Mexico (several areas) and DR. In Mexico City for example when preparing or storing food in homes, they just "do it differently". I am not used to certain things being left out and not refrigerated, etc. but it is normal to them and they don't get sick from it. I knew what I was getting myself into and just used common sense and tried to remind myself it is not necessarily less civilized, it is just not how we do it here. Most of the world does it differently. I know people that get sick everytime they go and have been dozens of times. I am lucky and have not been ill from food on a vacation, but the water in Mexico City can make you a little nauseated and it has. Most people drink too much alcohol on vacation and couple that with the sun, and the different bacteria in the food, it may put some people more at risk. It's a 3rd world country, do research and prepare yourself. I get shots and you can also take pills to help with the changes in bacteria for your stomach if you are very sensitive. The beaches in Punta Cana with their tall trees and the friendly people is worth the risk to me.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 01:46 AM

I've been to DR 7 times over the past 20 years, once on holiday, the other times on business to cities, resorts, private homes and estates and shacks, in the mts as well as interior and the coasts. My statement above still stands. The DR
is not one of my favorite places. So precautions with water, food are musts and it's not too paranoid to pre-medicate or bring immodium at the least.