Do I need AC?

Feb 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Do I need AC?

We're planning a trip to either St. John or St. Lucia. Many hotels (even some very expensive ones) and villas do not have AC. How important is AC? Any situations where it would be more or less important?

Thanks!
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM

It depends on a lot of things--your own tolerance of heat & humidity, the time of year, the location of the villa/hotel, and even its architecture.

Most of the time in the Caribbean I am perfectly happy without a/c as long as there are ceiling fans and screened windows. The few times I was really wishing for a/c were either in cases where the building was not designed to catch the breezes or in the month of August when it was especially humid.

Some people won't consider places without a/c, others like having the option of a/c in the bedrooms but enjoy the open-air atmosphere in the rest of the villa. I have two reasons for not turning the a/c on when it's available: when the room is chilled it makes the outdoors seem that much hotter and unbearable, and I really like the sounds the come in on the breezes such as the tree frogs.
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Two things come to mind... what time of year is your trip? Mid-December to May is usually quite pleasant in the Caribbean, whereas June to November can be warm and in the summer months quite hot at times.

Also, those resorts on the windys side of the island usually stay much cooler than those on the windless side. Tropical breezes can really cool the temperatures down.

In the winter, we don't worry about A/C in the Caribbean, but in the summer and early fall, we would rather have it - just in case it is needed.
Feb 16th, 2007, 05:33 AM

It's night time when you might need the AC most. The winds usually die down at night. Most places have a small AC unit in the bedrooms, usually, if the rest of the place isn't air conditioned. I'd check on that.

Peace
Feb 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM

We prefer to have an a/C in the bedroom for night time in St. John. We always go in June. So it prob depends on when you go.
Feb 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I'm one of the people who simply wouldn't even think about going to the tropics without having a/c.

My wife & I have been to several different islands over the years, and not once was there a time I didn't need to escape the heat with some soothing a/c.
Feb 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM

I think a/c is a must. We went to Anguilla in May two years ago, and the weather was abnormally hot and humid and there were no breezes. Our unit was air conditioned but it was such a lousy unit that we had to sit directly in front of it to cool off. Without it, it would have been even worse. Years ago we were able to manage without a/c without any problems, but now, I wouldn't think of it.
Feb 17th, 2007, 01:19 PM

I never use the AC when I am in the Caribbean. Unless of course for security reasons I have to close everything up. However, I live in FL and the AC here is always running. I need fresh air once in a while Plus with a ceiling fan in every room I am fine! It really depends on you. Some people cannot go without for 5 min. I really do not like AC at all. After all thats why I travel down there to be outside and feel the fresh air.
May 21st, 2007, 03:55 PM

was in st. john in nov. the house had ac in bedrooms only and that was good. at night when the wind was not so great, i used the ac 5 out of 7 nights. i love my central ac at home..... my friends never turned on their units.
May 21st, 2007, 05:03 PM

If you go during the Summer months to ST John...I would get a place that is FULLY air conditioned.

We were there in June 05 and it was very hot and humid.We only had AC in the bedrooms which made the living area uncomfortable.

When I say hot...it was in the high 80's to 90's and humid.

Christie
May 22nd, 2007, 05:50 AM

Our experience over dozens of visits is you need A/C from April-Dec. at a minimum. If you are taking a villa vs. hotel and plan to do any cooking it is even more important. A June afternoon can be 90 and low of 74-78 or so (add 2-4 degrees in Aug.) but you could get lucky and have high of 85 and low of 70-72 but why be uncomfortable on a vacation unless you are not used to A/C.
Go for it.
May 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM

We were on St John the first of May and we used the AC in the bedroom... it would have been pretty uncomfortable at night without it. The living area did not have AC and stayed pretty comfortable although it would have been nice to have the option of Ac in those rooms too.

I would not stay in a hotel without AC. In St Lucia, we were not allowed to have the doors or windows open at night in the hotel where we stayed. In renting a villa... I would have AC at least in the bedroom.

Have fun!

Molly