Search

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning

We are considering St. Thomas in early July and are considering staying at a private villa. One thing we noticed was that some have air conditioning, some have partial air conditioning and others have none. Living in Houston (the air conditioning capital of the world), I have to admit we are spoiled. What is the comfort factor in St. Thomas in July without air conditioning?

Thanks
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 04:57 PM

We are going to St John in June.My husband cannot sleep if it is warm out...so we are renting a villa with AC in the bedrooms.I think that is probably the way to go.If you are like us..we will be exploring during the day so AC in the whole villa is probably a waste.I think it might be too hot to not have any AC if you are used to it.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 04:58 PM

the temp in july should average 90. whether or not you need air depends alot on where the house sits. some get wonderful breezes, others get none. sometimes they mention the breeze factor in the description. i'd go for one with air in the bedrooms just to be sure - breezes often die down with sunset. perhaps after you choose a few houses you can list them here and find someone who has been and could offer specific advice.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Another thing we live in NC, so your summers are probably HOT like ours.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:23 AM

I agree with Virginia. When we go to St.John, we never really worry if there is AC or not and we go in early August. We stay up on a mountain side and the breeze is better than AC! (Granted, we're New Yorkers!) While the temp is high, I have never really felt that it seemed that high with the constant breeze that you feel.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:23 PM

This comes down to personal tolerance, but both my husband and I prefer cooler temps for sleeping so we would only consider a villa which has air conditioned bedrooms especially in the summer. During the day, we don't really care. We live in southern California and are used to heat but not coupled with humidity.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Check whether the place you might be staying has ceiling fans. We prefer to live open air in the Caribbean or Hawaii, to see and hear the ocean and the nature sounds, so have never used A/C even if it was there. We just wouldn't stay at a place which didn't have ceiling fans. The fan is worth as much as 10 degrees of apparent comfort.