Disturbing news about Coral Reefs

Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Disturbing news about Coral Reefs

On the net yesterday was a news article, I believe CNN website that 1/3!!!! of the coral reefs off the shore of PR and other islands have died in the last three to four months...has anyone heard the same?
Scientists are unaware as to the cause but rising water temps are one speculation....anyone with further insight I would be interested in learning more about this startling trend...

Jen
Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM

Actually I read an in depth article regarding the same subject on Friday. The article was an AP news story, so it was probably carried in many newspapers (I read it in the Philly Inquirer). Iím sure you can google it and find the story.
The main theme of the story was many coral reefs around Puerto Rico and the USVI are dying because of bleaching caused by warm water temps. The study found significant amounts of reef (one third) were affected the past year. Apparently the high water temps causes algae that provides food for the coral to die and turn white.
According to the article some of the reef colonies, which have died off, have been around since the days of Columbus. Unfortunately this is all most likely a result of climate change; letís hope something changes before these treasures are lost for good.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:50 PM

It will only get worse until we get rid of the government which doesn't believe in science. Global warming is real, and before long there may be a "tipping point" from which the planet may not recover if we don't get serious about cutting down on fossil fuels.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Sadly, I read that the coral death/damage in 2005 was worse than in the previous 20 years combined.

I have been following this issue for at least the last 10 years. It is a combination of things, but water temp increase is the main factor.

The hope is that the coral will somehow be able to adapt before it all dies off, but it is not looking good.

The general public has no idea how serious this is. No coral, no reef fish. No reef fish, no fish that eat them. No fish that eat them, no seafood.

Global warming has the potential to raise the sea level all over the planet by more than 20 feet. Goodbye Florida! (And a lot of other real estate on the planet as well...)
Apr 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM
cdt

We saw exceptionally healthy corals near Provo two years ago and wondered if it is because the T&C are slightly farther north and hence a bit cooler.
Apr 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM

The science used to predict climate and weather change is very shaky, at best. We cannot even yet predict a hurricane's path within 24 hours! And records go back only - what 100 years? How can that possibly be long enough to accurately predict a longterm change? Not to mention that the temperature recordings vary in integrity - some were discovered to be taking readings at the wrong time of day etc. Much coral reef death is due to plain old stormy weather - where the sand etc is stirred up and deposited on the coral, causing it do die. But I guess that's not as exciting as predicting death and doom, and it sure doesn't pay any research scientist salaries.

I am not selling my Florida house Yet.
Apr 9th, 2006, 05:59 AM

I'm with you Joan, well said. No one is willing to admit there are cycles to weather and want to scare everyone into thinking the world will end with this global warming nonsense.
Apr 9th, 2006, 06:18 AM

I read something about the icecaps melting in Alaska at an alarming rate..which will cause towns along the coast of the USA and some islands to be underwater within a certain amount of years. (I cannot remember how long)but it was not in the real near future.