Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Destination Wedding Overload---Need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2010, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently found this website and I'm hopeful that I can find some help! =]

My fiance and I are planning a destination wedding for the spring of 2011, our dates are flexible still at this point. It will be just the two of us, no guests. We don't need anything fancy, just someone to marry us and a photographer to capture our smiles...and figure out a way to knock 20 pounds off me with the camera. =]

Finding the location has been close to a nightmare. I am literally lost somewhere out on the web. I have attempted contacting various travel agents. They either don't get back to me with the quote or go way (try three times) beyond our budget. We have planned a budget of $10,000 for the trip (including air fare). If that is enough, I really have no clue what things cost.

We were originally looking around Fiji, but quickly have learned that we don't have enough to go there. So now we've been attempting to look "closer to home". Somewhere in the Caribbean. We have taken special notice of Jamaica and St Lucia but are obviously open to any suggestions. We do not want a huge resort with huge hotels and lots of loud parties going on. While we do enjoy having a few drinks, we much prefer more laid back locations. We would like to find somewhere that has private little cottages/huts/etc that you can rent. So we have our own privacy to relax. A nice beach right there is a most, preferably we would like a place on the beach, at the least one with views of it. We do like adventure/activities and exploring local areas.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Also, thoughts on all inclusive vs not? We thought all inclusive may be better so we don't spend a small fortune on meals while we're there. Please help so I can relax! =] If you have questions, ask away! Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM

Hi, congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I have been to quite a few resorts in the Caribbean and I am going to suggest two places that I would choose for my daughter if she was asking me that question! 1. Galley Bay, Antigua. My all-time favorite Caribbean resort, they do a great job with weddings and they have individual cottages "Gauguin Cottages" with their own plunge pools. Absolutely within your price range (you can easily get about 30% or more off rack rates so don't panic when you see the rates on the website, and the price absolutely includes everything except spa treatments or excursions. 2. Nisbet Plantation Beach Club, Nevis. An intimate, charming, historic, plantation resort on the beach. A different feel than Galley Bay, but also one of my favorites. Both are very special places, with great service and food, very romantic and I think either would be wonderful for you. Rooms are not in individual cottages but most are in bungalows (2 rooms to a bungalow) spread throughout the property. Check them out!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM

Honestly, $10,000 should be enough to get you a nice wedding package in Fiji, so I'm surprised you haven't found anything there. It's certainly enough to get you a nice wedding package on any island in the Caribbean that isn't privately owned, and even then you'd have enough for some of the private islands.

I agree with the previous poster about both of the resorts she recommends. they're both quite nice. I would also recommend the following places:

LaLuna on Grenada -- a boutique resort on a small, quiet beach with a very rustic romantic feel.

Peter Island or Guana Island in the British Virgin Islands -- they're both private island resorts with very different feels to them. Peter Island is more upscale with more traditional luxuries. Guana is more rustic that offers alternative luxuries like real space, privacy, and a totally laid-back, off-the grid feel without losing key comforts and ameneties.

Cap Juluca, Malliouhana, Cuisinart, or Viceroy on Anguilla. These are the top four resorts on the island, each with a very different feel. Each has devoted clientele who wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

Anse Chastenet/Jalousie/Ladera on St. Lucia -- these are varying sizes and levels of luxury and levels of rusticity. Anse Chastenet and Ladera are famous for having rooms with only 3 walls, where the fourth wall is wide open to the beautiful views. They're not for everybody, but they are stunning. St. Lucia is a gorgeous, volcanic island. What it lacks in white sand beaches it makes up for in spades with natural, lush mountainous beauty.

Then there's the Gold Coast of Barbados--The House, Cobblers Cove and many others resorts line this coast. It has a very British feel in a West Indian setting.

You could also get a very nice private villa on almost any island, complete with a housekeeper and/or chef if you'd like.

Wedding ceremonies and license costs vary from island to island, as do "redidency" requirements, but they're not outrageously expensive anywhere. When we married in Antigua in 2003, the license was around $50, there was a ministerial fee of about the same. We had a friend who played photographer, so we didn't have that expense.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM

I had your answer right after you mentioned Fiji. And it's an AI! Palm Island in the Grenadines! Very laid back with no loud parties, but people to chat with at the bar if you choose. Nice one mile boat ride from Union Isalnd (where you fly in)and very kind, friendly staff. A private island with cottages and the most beautiful beach and water you will ever find in the Caribbean. Very comparable to my visit to Bora Bora. In fact, we're going back again this winter.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM

Have you looked into getting married on St. John in the US Virgin Islands? It is close to the states and most of the island is national park, which makes it amazingly beautiful and relaxing. http://www.viweddingphotos.com/
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Oh my, you all are AMAZING! Thank you, thank you for all of the suggestions. Yes, I was also surprised about the Fiji thing. We found a couple of places that were close to affordable, but they didn't include anything. The weddings there were about $2000, and that didn't include any photography. A lot of places were another $1000 for like 20 pictures.

We are actually getting ready to go for a weekend trip without technology (How will I survive?! ha ha...just kidding). Now I'm excited to get home and start looking through these. It helps so much to have people give an opinion who have been to the area before. I'll let you know what we find out and THANK YOU AGAIN!!! You all are awesome!!! =]

Feeling better already!