Search

Looking for Mayan Riviera suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Mayan Riviera suggestions

Hi, y'all--

I'm posting this question for my granddaughter and her beau. They want to travel to the Mayan Riviera December 18-23. They've got their flights all lined up and are looking for suggestions for accommodations. They'd prefer an AI so that they know their budget up front, but they definitely want to stay somewhere where the beach hasn't eroded away. They both love diving, and this past past summer they vacationed at Le Sport in St. Lucia and they loved it.

They're prefer a smaller AI if possible, and they don't need a party atmosphere despite their age (20 and 24). They'd prefer a hotel/resort that offers more than buffets for their dining options. Beyond that, they probably need to keep prices in the midrange. They don't need budget accommodations, but they can't afford Royal Hideaway, either.

Any input? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smaller AIs --hmmmm-- have them look into Secrets Capri. It is an adults only AI which is on the smaller side.
Also the Catalonia Royal Tulum which is on one of the nicest stretch of beach around. It is a small adults only AI also and probably costs less than Secrets.
Secrets Maroma is also on a beautiful stretch of beach and is closer to the airport than Catalonia Royal Tulum.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:34 AM

I forgot..Also look into the Catalonia Playa Maroma. On the same stetch of beach as Secrets Maroma. It is not adults only, but there shouldn't be many children there at the time they are going. Both Catalonias have activities during the day, but the Catalonia Royal Tulum is more laid back at night. The beach at the Catalonia Maroma is wider and longer.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 06:52 AM

I think the Maroma Resort & Spa would definitely fit the bill...

www.maromahotel.com
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Maroma resort is not an AI.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM

My apologies..I thopught it had an AI option. Maybe I was thinking of Secrets Maroma.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Maroma is certainly gorgeous, but I think it's beyond their price range. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, y'all!
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM

The Catalonia resorts I mentioned above cost well less than Maroma as does Secrets Capri. The Catalonias have a much better bewach than Secrets Capri though.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
KVR

My favorite AI in that area has always been The Royal Playa del Carmen. Though is was smaller when we went a few years ago, they have added on a wing and another pool. Food was really good for an AI and the location can not be beat. The lower catagory rooms are much less expensive than other resorts in this calibur.

Cancun and the Mayan Riviera have completed a major beach restoration within this past year, so the beach erosion that was once an issue shouldn't be any longer. However, I do agree that the sections of beach around Maroma and Tulum are probably the best in that area.

We are returning in December and chose an non-AI this time. The first out of 9 trips.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, schmerl and KVR. I really appreciate your input!
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 09:21 AM

Secrets Maroma is OUTSTANDING! We were there for 10 nights over Christmas/New Years last year. GO, GO, GO!! Plush, beautiful, over the top service, gorgeous beach, fabulous food, beautiful plush rooms. GO!!!