Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

desperately need help, montego bay or grand bahama island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to plan a vacation for me, my husband and four year old daughter. Looking for:

1. luxurious accomodations
2. great food
3. lush tropical scenery
4. good childrens program
5. activities at the resort and in the city

This is somewhat last minute and I am considering the ritz carlton or half moon, Montego bay; The Westin at our lucaya, Grand bahamas Island, or the Radisson cable beach in Nassau. Please help with any input. I am overwhelmed with all the choices out there.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM

As I was searching for details to Punta Cana for a trip later this month I noticed your posting.

The two destinations in question are totally different. I'm a single traveler and have been to both areas a couple of times.

My first instinct with children in mind would be to guide you towards the Bahamas. The travel is less extensive there and would be less of a hassle with the children. Although I have no children of my own I do have three nephews and give me you my advise from this perspective as well as an elementary school teacher's view.

You are welcome to direct any questions my way. I'm going on to search now.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:19 AM

I have only been to Nassau once for an overnite. It is very built up.I have been to GBI about 8 times. I would opt for Our Lucaya. Our Lucaya has beautiful grounds, tremendous pools. They have kids programs.The island itself is not lush, most places arn't in the caribean. Does have beautiful beaches. Search for fasst1. He has posted 100 pictures of the island and resort. I think his link is on a post March 7th. Under GBI.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:34 PM

My choice would be the Ritz or Half Moon Bay in Jamaica. I have been to all three resorts that you mentioned but have not stayed at any of them. The Ritz is a lovely resort on the beach. Half Moon Bay is a large complex. They have a dolphin encounter on site. Grand Bahama is a pretty island but there isn't much on the island other than the resort.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:37 PM

Im staying at the ritz in August and heard a lot of good things about it.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responeses. We ended up going with our Lucaya because it sounded like it would be better with a four year old. shorter flight and children's programs. Also sounds like the beach is nicer than at the Ritz. Will do the ritz someother time when we can leave our daughter behind. AJ post- Please let me know how your experience at the Ritz goes.