Search

Desperate Need of Travel advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desperate Need of Travel advice

Hello all,
My name is Jason and my fiance's name is Ashlee. We recently got engaged and are looking for a honeymoon spot in the middle of July. I am a little uneasy about flying and that is a huge problem. I have agreed to go to somewhere close the united states. I was thinking of jamaica, caymans, or the bahama's. We are looking for a place on any of these islands. We are not to big on the night life and would really like to find a place that just allows us to relax with out a million screaming kids around us. We are very into some sort of spa. We are looking for a secluded resort which is romantic. If you have any other ideas on different islands to go to that would be fine too. I am just looking for some advice on a safe place where we can both feel comfortable. I would also like a place that there is alot to do(horsebacking, hiking, snorkeling, water sports...etc.). I know this is a tall order but anyone with any advice could really help me alot. Thanks for taking the time out for me..I really appreciate it.
Jay
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:11 PM

I had stayed at The Occidental Royal Hideaway in Mexico around the same time last year for my hooneymoon. It was the perfect place.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 03:36 AM

Recommend Dolphin Beach resort on Guana Cay in the Abacos ( Bahama Out Islands ). Just an hour flight from the Florida coast. Lots of water sports but no horseback riding.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 05:30 AM

We are honeymooning in St. John and Virgin Gorda. Very romantic, not touristy. Caneel Bay resort as well as Little Dix Bay both have spas.
Also try www.peterisland.com it might be just what you are looking for.
Flights are pretty short also. Neither of us likes to fly but it will be worth it
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 09:03 AM
Bri

Couples Resorts in Jamaica, they have three. No one under the age of 18 is alowed, and only couples. You are free to do everything they offer, or nothing at all. Check there web sight.

Bri
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 09:11 AM

Congratulations on your engagement!

My husband and I were looking for very similar traits when research our vacation for this January. After lots of search we decided on Couples Swept Away in Negril. It is an adults-only all inclusive hotel with well regarded restaurants, spa and a ton of activities in a laid back atmosphere. Check out the web site at: http://www.couples.com/12sw/index.html
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 09:10 AM

Since you are talking about July and your fear of flying, I think the Bahama's would work for you. There are some nice resorts and the ocean is just as nice as any of the other islands.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 09:40 AM

Ditto the advice about Swept Away in Negril. Have been there twice.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM

Cayman's would be a good place to go.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:26 AM

How about the Aventura Spa Palace resort in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico? Each room has a jacuzzi, and the resort is all adults. There is a huge spa onsite, and the PDC area has many activities to choose from.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 08:49 AM

I am going out on a limb and will recommen Bermuda...It is terrific for honeymooners...

It is off the coast of NC and you can get a direct flight out of DC..

I have no idea where you will be flying out of, nor your budget...so all that info from you will sure help with listing good accomodations..

Bermuda is TOTALLY safe, has pink sand beaches, great restaurants, and lots of secluded little beaches...Mode of transportation is MOPED or bus or taxi..you cannot rent a car on Bermuda...or you can tour the island by the ferry that hits all areas of the island...

The Sonesta Beach Hotel on Bermuda has a FULL SERVICE SPA and has just undergone a multimillion dollar renovation and is a premier property..
IT did get hit by Hurricane Isabel and is being repaired currently..But by May, everything is supposed to be back to perfect..It is an AWESOME place...with rooms set over a cliff or overlooking the lagoon pool..and Bermuda is a super super romantic place...Way more so, than Jamaica-where it is dangergous to go off-property...

Here is the Sonesta Link:

http://www.sonesta.com/bermuda/
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Swept Away is a perfect honeymoon waiting to happen. Could not have asked for more. Absolute heaven.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Puerto Rico may also be worth looking into. It is a really pretty island and you could only be closer to home going to Bermuda.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Most of the Carribean will be very hot iand humid n July. Take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com. I actually don't think it would be anice place for a honeymoon in July.

Since you don't like to fly, you might consider someplace within a few hours or a day or so drive from where you live for your honeymoon. July is great weather in most places of the US (maybe not Florida and nearby states). A national park would offer all that you want (of course plus some kids). Coastal Maine is great in July, and Vermont has many spa destinations. The coast of California would be great as well. In the mid-west there are so many national parks. If you want to splurge, my idea of a great active honeymoon at a luxury hotel will a world-class spa would be either the Amangani hotel in Wyoming (amanresorts.com) or the Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulf in Colorado (ritz-carlton.com.)

If second vote for Bermuda which is bit farther north and is so charming and great for honeymooners. You will find all the activities you want.

I love Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay as mentioned above, but they might not be quite as active places you want. Also, Caneel does not have a spa. They have two massage room and I have to say I had one of the best massages I have ever had there, but they do not have spa. Little Dix just built a spa.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:47 AM

Most of the Carribean will be very hot iand humid n July. Take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com. I actually don't think it would be anice place for a honeymoon in July.

Since you don't like to fly, you might consider someplace within a few hours or a day or so drive from where you live for your honeymoon. July is great weather in most places of the US (maybe not Florida and nearby states). A national park would offer all that you want (of course plus some kids). Coastal Maine is great in July, and Vermont has many spa destinations. The coast of California would be great as well. In the mid-west there are so many national parks. If you want to splurge, my idea of a great active honeymoon at a luxury hotel will a world-class spa would be either the Amangani hotel in Wyoming (amanresorts.com) or the Ritz-Carlton Bachelor Gulf in Colorado (ritz-carlton.com.)

If you do want to go to an island, I second the vote for Bermuda which is bit farther north and is so charming and great for honeymooners. You will find all the activities you want.

I love Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay as mentioned above, but they might not be quite as active places you want. Also, Caneel does not have a spa. They have two massage room and I have to say I had one of the best massages I have ever had there, but they do not have spa. Little Dix just built a spa.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:32 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Hideaway for our Honeymoon in April of 2001. Two years later, I'm still depressed because we had to come back. We also spent two days at a small resort in Cancun called Casa Turquesa (spelled wrong, I'm sure) It was also incredible. A little worn around the edges but a beautiful, if not slightly erotic art collection. The place was more like an art gallery than a resort. What's really weird is that we were one of only three couples in the entire resort. I think it had around 36 suites of varying size. But I digress. The Royal Hideaway, although quite expensive during high season, will leave you wanting your honeymoon to never end. I've recently decided that our winter vacation every year will be a Honeymoon. This year we're going to Las Hadas in Manzanillo, on hte Pacific coast. It's had mixed reviews but I'm hoping for the best.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:21 AM

St. John, USVI is absolutely beautiful, the most gorgeous beaches and extremely safe. Check into renting a villa. We did for our honeymoon and it was so romantic and much cheaper than renting a room at Caneel. There are so many villas and price ranges on that island.

You can not go wrong. Most have pools.

usvi-on-online.com
www.vacationvistas.com (is just one of many St. John villa sites)

You will get tons of advice from folks on there. There is a forum and all the info you will need. It's how I planned my wedding and honeymoon. I can't think of a better place for what your looking for except Bermuda which is on the same par.