Day Trips from Peter Island

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from Peter Island

My husband and I will be visiting Peter Island for a week and I would love any recs for day trips.

We would like a chance to see another island, something laid-back where maybe we could hang out at a local beach bar or restaurant. Snorkeling would be good too. We have been to LDB, but didn't make it to the Baths (honeymoon!), should we go back to see them?

Not so much interested in shopping, but I have never been to St. Thomas, is it worth leaving PI to see?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:18 AM

The baths are something NOT to be missed in this lifetime, IMO. There is a small beach bar in one section and Devils Bay which is sort of a challenging hike through a maze of huge boulders, etc (there is no beach bar there, just beach) At the top of the baths (where you would get dropped off by a taxi) there are shops and a couple of restaurants Mad Dog Cafe and "Top of the Baths" Best way really to experience the baths is by boat as you get to see all of it...

St Thomas I guess is worth seeing, but if you want to shop or are into history, those are the two best reasons. It is totally the opposite of Peter Island, but if you want to do something different for a day. There are some beautiful beaches there, but much more crowded than Peter Island.

Lots of people go to Jost van dyke for the day there are beach bars there and a nice beach.

When you are staying somewhere as nice as Peter Island I am not sure that anywhere is worth leaving to see! I guess it also depends on how long you will be at PI.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Our favorite excursion is a snorkeling trip to the Caves and the Indians. It is great snorkeling and often includes lunch on the Willie T. A day on Jost Van Dyke is also very nice. Good snorkling in White Bay and you can visit the Soggy Dollar Bar for refreshments. Some nice eats over in Great Harbor as well as a fun time at Foxy's. Or just a day sail, and go "wherever" for the day. There are so many great out of the way places to enjoy.
Nothing on St Thomas can compare with places in the BVI.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM

We only did the St. Thomas day trip from Peter Island and asked them to drop us off at St. John instead. St. John is much more laid back than St. Thomas. We spent most of the day there and then took the public ferry to Charlotte Amalie to meet the PI boat for the ride back.

I agree that the Baths are definitely worth a visit too. We'd been there on a previous trip. We stayed at PI in low season, so the only day trip choices were the Baths or St. Thomas (or in our case St. John), but I would've loved to have visited Jost too if that had been an option for us.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info! The drop off on St John sounds like a good idea!

Has anyone gotten to Jost Van Dyke from Peter Island? JVD sounds great, but I am worried it would be too complicated to get there and would waste the day.

Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 01:15 PM

I spent a week at PIR in October. There's plenty off-island day trips available depending on your budget and time of year.
I would recommend talking to Benji upon arrival and discussing your interests, besides being a great person he's an excellent concierge. He set us up on a private day charter w/ captain (King Charters) and we made all the stops, Willie T, the Indians for great snorkeling (go early), Jost-Soggy Dollar, foxy's was closed because it was off-season, Sandy spit and Cay, we chose not to do the baths because we had been there on previous trips. Jost Van Dyke is a short boat ride from PI.
Another trip Benji set up for us was a day trip to Anegada; very reasonably price includes: flight, taxi to Loblolly Bay, lobster lunch. Very isolated and desolate if you want to roam a beach for miles and see no one and have the option of incredible snorkeling off the beach.
A fall back trip which we chose to do was half the day in Tortolla. The ferry runs back and forth all day so it's very convenient. We chose this because it was a rare rain day and to get some shopping out of the way.
The shopping doesn’t compare to St Thomas, but it was a lot easier than going all the way to St Thomas.

If you're not interested in shopping, I would recommend other options before St Thomas. If you're looking to hang out at a beach bar, Jost will do the trick.
If you want more of a variety, take a trip to Cruz Bay; St John Beaches are incredible and Cruz Bay has great places to hang.
I also agree with a previous poster on not missing the baths, or if you have to choose one trip I would recommend the Baths. I would also agree to see if you could get a trip that will access it from the water/boat rather than the path inland. I have done both, and although the path down the unusual rock formations is interesting, it can be time consuming and difficult if you have physical limitations.
I also don't think you could go wrong by choosing to stay at PIR the entire time either. The staff is incredible, food is great, Deadmans Beach is beautiful and the snorkeling on the other side of the island is some of the best (White Bay).
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:56 PM

My fiance and I are going to Peter Island for part of our honeymoon and definitely plan to visit the baths at Virgin Gorda while we are there. We are also going to take the half day snorkeling trip to either the Caves or the Indians. We are going to St. John for the last part of the trip, and plan to take a day trip to Jost Van Dyke while there. If you're interested, I just read a very detailed review of Peter Island on Traveltalkonline.com. It was very helpful to me.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 03:10 AM

My husband and I went to Peter Island in May 2003 and had the best holiday ever - we were there for 2 weeks and only did one day trip - to the Baths - I wasn't that impressed to be honest - we also went to Little Dix Bay which wasn't a patch on Peter Island but maybe that was as it was a bit rainy - it all seemed very deserted. We could have stayed the whole time at Peter Island - we did a couple of walks around the island whilst there - it is quite hard to go far as it is so hot! But mainly spent time learning to sail in the bay, going to the gym - the spa wasn't there at that time. We are definitely considering going back there again. You will love it! We are English and met some great people there - mainly Americans, normally we keep ourselves to ourselves on holiday but everyone was so friendly. I would leave it til you get there to get advice from the island.
Have a fantastic time!