day trip to anguilla-seasickness

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get seasick every now and then. Is the ferry over to anguilla rough? what about to st. Barts?
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:52 AM

The one to St. Barts is always rough, and takes an hour.
The one to Anguilla has been rough, but only lasts 20 minutes, with only 10 of them being rough. I've seen it rough enough that people got sick, but most of the time it's okay.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:37 AM

The trip between St. Barths and St. Martin can get pretty rough which is why the regular ferry is known as the "vomit comet". The ride on newer "fast ferry" is somewhat smoother but if you suffer from seasickness you might want to forego both ferries and fly to St. Barth's.

The ferry between St. Martin and Anguilla is usually fairly calm but there are occasions when the seas get lumpy. Unfortunately there's no way to predict when those conditions will occur. You have to observe the sea conditions on the day you plan to travel and decide if you want to take the chance. One of the difficulties is that it can be relatively calm during one part of the day and wavy during another part. Consider taking a dose of dramamine prior to boarding the ferry, that might help control your queasiness.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM

I get very seasick, and on my last trip, I took Bonine 1/2 hour before we left...it worked great! Dramamine does nothing for me. Hope that helps.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:29 PM

Our trick with ferries was that I was the last one on the boat! Would stand right beside it and not get on until they were ready to leave.

Oddly enough, sitting on a moored boat not moving always made me sicker than being on a moving boat.

You might try that (along with the wonderful Bonine that always worked well for me).
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:58 AM

I always feel worse going to St Barths than to Anguilla. Plus as Blamona mentioned the ferry SXM to AXA is much shorter so if you feel bad, it does not last as long. The last time I went to St Barths we were supposed to fly and missed our flight - we ended up on the ferry and no Bonine. My DH and me - both of us just felt so sick. I would take seasickness med. before getting on the boat. GL