Danger on St Maarten

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:24 AM
kellie

Danger on St Maarten

My husband and i just got back from a cruise with a stop in St Maarten. Many people have written this incident off as a random event, but if you do some research you will find that crime is out of control on St Maarten and the cops are doing nothing. This letter was published in the Daily Herald (St. Maartens newspaper) and the reporter told me the Dutch Army is on their way to the island now to try to restore order. Anyway, be careful! <BR>Hello, <BR><BR>I just wanted to alert your organization about an attempted murder/scooter jacking that occurred on St. Maarten while I was visiting. I was visiting the island on Wednesday, September 4th and had rented a 2 person scooter from Antillean Car Rental located on Sucker Garden Road. My husband and I had visited Orient Beach and were on our way to Baie Rouge. We were driving on the main road in front of the Union Road Medical Clinic when the attempted murder and moped stealing took place. <BR><BR>Two black teenage youths drove up beside our scooter on the left side. The person on the rear of the scooter started violently kicking me and our scooter, causing us to loose control of the scooter and consequently falling off at 35 miles per hour. Unbelievably, one youth ran over to our scooter while we were lying injured in the road and picked it up and jumped on it. At this point we realized that his intent was not to help us, but to steal the moped and we jumped up. My husband was able to grab him from the back and I punched him in the face until he jumped off our scooter and ran back to where his partner in crime was waiting for him and they drove off. We sustained major injuries and were treated by Dr. G. Van Osch at the Union Road Medical clinic. <BR><BR>The two black police officers who showed up at the clinic to take our report were unconcerned and unaffected after this tragic tourist attack. They did not even fill out any paperwork while we were there. We were informed by them and the scooter rental man that this is the fourth time recently that this very same type of attack has taken place. <BR><BR>Needless to say, my husband and I were and still are in severe pain and unable to move due to the road rash and injuries. Our entire vacation was ruined by these thugs on St. Maarten. I am writing this letter in hopes that word will spread that this is a very dangerous life threatening island, and people who continue to visit St. Maarten need to be on alert so they will not have to endure the same experience we did. <BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:31 AM
OH NO

Kellie,<BR>Please, please, please go away. The Dutch Army is on the way to the island to restore order??? Who do you think you're kidding? <BR>You tried this same post under a different email address last week and Fodors removed it. There is no record of the attack you claim to have "suffered". You are lying through your teeth and I would love to know your motivation. <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Nancy

Kellie,<BR>Give it a rest! We all read this bogus report you posted a week or two ago and punched the whole thing so full of holes you were too embarassed to come back and even rebut in defense of your ridiculous story.<BR>The last time you posted it, you said you had spent your vacation there and that this happened to YOU. Now you've changed it to it happened to someone else.<BR>You need to see about making an appointment with a psychiatrist to explore why you have this nasty need to spread fear and lies. Post a link to this story or BEAT IT!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:42 AM
observer

This is being discussed on traveltalkonline.com<BR><BR>On that board someone verified that it happened...

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:46 AM
islandgirl

Yes, she posted under the name "Kelliehou" last week and I also notice that she posted the same thread on TravelTalkonline.com (St Marteen). It is clear that this woman/man is on an agenda to destroy the image of St Marteen in the minds of others - for whatever reason(s). They do not need this sort of "publicity" - there are some gullible people out there who would beleive what this person is saying-case in point, the majority of the folks on Traveltalk who have bought her story and are full of sympathy! It is not even worth saying much more other than that we all need to ignore this very sick woman/man and hope that Fodors removes the post before long

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:03 AM
observer

traveltalkonline is one of those heavily monitored boards where anything questionable is censored right away. The St Martin/Maarten folks over there wouldn't tolerate it if it was false.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Bud

Observer. There's an obvious point that makes this bogus. Within the last 2 weeks Kellie posted that this happened to her personally. Now it was someone else. Until I see a link for this story it is not credible.<BR>A couple of months ago, a guy posted a story about some girl almost getting her arm bitten off by a lion in Cozumel and we all said no way. He posted the link and it was TRUE.<BR>No link - no dice.<BR>btw Kellie has some very serious mental issues.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Giveit

Kellie,<BR><BR>Maybe they got your scooter back. Who says they are doing nothing. Maybe you owe them an apology.<BR><BR>http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/d...7/raid107.html

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Kyle

The incident IS true--and those kinds of things DO happen on St. Martin, so get OUT of your denial, all of you nudist lovers!!!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Unwise

Kellie,<BR><BR>First - the police are doing nothing? (not with the recent article in the Dairly Herald) Dutch army on the way? Crime out-of-control? You, my dear, are about the only thing out-of-control here. Sure these things happen. What fascinates me is that in a one day stop on this island you managed to read the paper (which incidentally DID NOT publish this letter) and manage to speak to one of the reporters? You are the special one!!!!<BR><BR>Second, Do you think it was wise to include your name and address when you posted this letter on another board. How does your husband (M.....l) feel about that? I think that just shows your level of smarts.<BR><BR>Third, you're are from Miami county, which I am sure has it's fair share of crime and similiar incidents as you depict in this post. Do you feel it to be a "very dangerous life threatening" place to vacation? Reverse the situation: a person from the caribbean vacations in Miami and is mugged by a white person. They in turn post a message such your about Miami County, Florida; exaggerating a mugging into murder and that the area is a "very dangerous life threatening" place. Would you want to see your home turf, so dependent on tourist dollars, be blackened (oops, I know you are sensitive to that word) by isolated incidents of crime? Can't wait to watch CSI - Miami this fall.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 06:11 AM
Statia

I have no idea if this incident happened or not, so I can't comment on it. However, I can attest to the fact that it IS printed in the Daily Herald of Monday, September 16.<BR><BR>The crime problem on SXM has gradually gotten worse over the years, but it is still not as bad as what I see on some local news stations in major US cities. People just tend to come to the islands expecting no crime or very little crime and they become careless. You simply have to be careful and not put yourself in dangerous situations. Protect yourself as you would in any other place in the world. Unfortunately, not all Caribbean islands are crime-free, as some folks would like to believe.<BR><BR>I will add, however, that I have read no mention in the local news of the Dutch Army coming to SXM. It's only the Dutch Marines that visit local islands, and they really only assist after after a devestating hurricane.<BR><BR>If this incident did happen to you, Kellie, I'm sorry for your trouble. Be thankful it wasn't worse and just remember to be more careful on your next vacation...wherever that may be.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:42 PM
Julie

"Nudist lovers"???

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:41 AM
Sign Me Up

The whole problem here is that there are a bunch of ultra-conservative ninnies out there who can't control themselves because OTHER PEOPLE enjoy going to a nude resort. They think that by spreading lies about crime, dirt, wild animals and anything else people will not go there and the island will be ruined -- all because they are so hung up about OTHER PEOPLES nudity. The only problem is that these anti-SXM posts have started becoming like the "sky is falling"/"boy who cried wolf" stories. Nobody believes them anymore and to some extent they may have the opposite effect. I, for one, plan on checking out this island myself. I must see what all the fuss is about!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 07:56 AM
warning

The problem isn't the ultra conservative or anything but a couple of posters (or one) who has appointed himself crimewatcher of the islands. He trolls the boards just waiting for an opportunity to put the quash on anyone who might be looking. If the warnings are accurate or reports genuine the spin is made to put the island in dire straights with people stepping over bodies to get to the beaches and meyhem reigning. Fodor's should just consider renaming this board Lawless and Unorder and then those who want information can go to other boards where crime and safety are discused appropriately. <BR>Don't bury your head in the sand but don't respond to the sensationalism of crime. Warnings are good but bad things happen everywhere.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:48 AM
Mickey

Kyle.<BR><BR>How does defending St Maarten or thinking Kellie is a troll relate to being nudist lovers?<BR><BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:40 PM
Ron

Will be going to St.Martin soon--looking forward to it. Have been there several times without trouble, although<BR>I am aware that, like most other places, things can happen.<BR><BR>Heck, I have even been to Orient beach--used to think I didn't look too good in the "raw" until I saw some of the folks on Orient--now I don't think I look so bad at all!!!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:11 AM
anon

I never read anything from Kellie that said this didn't happen to her and her husband. In both posts she claims it happened to them. There is no discrepancy here.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:33 AM
x

<BR>Just wondering, why would this Kellie person make this up? What would she have to gain? Anyway, I checked out www.traveltalkonline.com and it is confirmed to be true. I don't think Kellie is a troll

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:43 AM
anyone

She may not be a troll, but the you and the one before you are.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Been There

St. Martin is such a great island that even when my rental car was broken into I still had a great time. There's nothing like St. Martin. When you've got some of the best food in the world and over 30 beautiful beaches to choose from what more can you ask?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -