Curacao Marriott or Hilton (Sheraton)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the restaurants at the hotels, are any restaurants within walking distance of the Marriott and/or Hilton (previously the Sheraton)?

If I wanted to take a cab to Bistro Le Clochard, Fort Nassau, Rijstaffel, any idea how much it would cost and how long it would take?
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:52 AM

You can walk to Hook's. Neither one of these hotels are within walking distance of much else. Many of the rerstaurants are in the downtown area and about a ten minute cab ride. It doesn't cost that much and you can always ask the doorman ahead of time to let you know if anyone is requesting a trip to the restaurants and split the cab fare. Fort Nassau is further up. The day we went for lunch was during the time we were renting a car and touring the island. I'm not sure how much that fare would be. Additionally, if you go in the evening, I would recommend you take a cab if it's dark, as it can be tricky to find. Personally, we found Fort Nassau to be the only place we didn't like, but it's great to stop for a drink and take in the view.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 07:24 PM

The Marriot offers free shuttle to Willemstad where Clochard is located. This is only during the day however.
A taxi ran about $12.00
It is less than 15 min. ride.
The restaurants at the Marriot are quite good and offer a nice variety.
Have fun
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:55 AM

Do Stay at the Hilton though. Several years ago, the Marriot was the place to be. Now, they renovated what used to be the Curacao carribean hotel and made it into the Hilton. Last time I was there 4 years ago it was the Carribean Hotel....now I get there and it's the Hilton and all I can say is WOW !! What a BEAUTIFUL PLACE and layout ! They did such an excellent job. Wanna know the secret why it's nicer ?? Its cooler. Yup...I talked to a guy on vacation from Atlanta and he told me that he has stayed at both the Hilton and the Marriot and prefers the Hilton. The reason is because of it's beautiful layout. The design let's the tradewinds passs through perfectly...there is always wind cooling you off. In contrast, the Marriort structure blocks alot of the wind and it can get hot outside. He made a good point..so I went to see for myself and sure enough...it was hotter and there was less wind at the Marriot compared to the breezy Hilton. I had always thought the Marriot was thee hotel to stay on the island. But now with Kura Hulanda and the Hilton....Marriot, while still beautiful, has slipped of it's #1 spot. Kura Hulanda is the place for a quite retreat without kids, Hilton is the buzzing beachside resort. You pick.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:03 AM

I agree with FirstInlastout. The Hilton's layout, pool area and outdoor area is alot nicer!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:35 AM

Can anyone comare the beaches at the Hilton and Marriott, in terms of size, crowds, swimming?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 01:05 PM

The beaches at the Hilton are not long, they are "coves" and there are about three of them on the property. The Marriott has the longer stretch of beach. The Hilton seemed more open, in the sense that there was more space for loungers spread out, whereas the Marriott felt a little more crowded by the pool. Neither one of these properties will be overly crowded.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:07 AM

Was in Curacao last April, The Kura Hulanda is very special - unique but not on the beach and not for families. We to see the Marriot and Hilton next door. The Marriot had the nicest overall appeal in my opinion. The beach and pool area were very pretty. The Hilton has been afew previous hotels and thought renovated it didn't have as nice a beach and the rooms thought updated still had a touch of mildew smell to me as did the hallways feel old.