Cuba in early September?

Jul 6th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Cuba in early September?

We are celebrating our 50th Anniversary early Sept and are looking for some place to go to kick back and relax and lay at the pool or on the beach. We have never been to Cuba so don't know much about it. Would the weather be too hot, or too 'buggy' or too humid?
i think we'd look at all inclusive to simplify things.
Looking for any suggestions on what area, resort etc. We are open to other destinations as well.
Jul 7th, 2018, 07:39 AM

Please define in terms of actual temperatures what you consider "too hot" & "too humid". FYI - You can research general weather statistics for Cuba and find answers to your own weather questions here: Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase) - Click you way through to "Caribbean", "Cuba" and "city/town" you plan on visiting - you'll find lots of useful data. As a general rule daytime temps won't vary more than about 5 degrees F. between summer and winter and humidity is essentially the same all year long.

As for being "too buggy" that will depend on many factors like whether you plan to visit more populated areas or more rural areas, the amount of rain there might have been in the week or so prior to your arrival, how much vegetation there is where you'll be staying, etc., etc. Just so you know, insects are more active in areas with dense vegetation, around salt ponds and pools of standing water, in rural areas vs. urban areas and at sunrise and/or dusk vs. mid-day, and during periods when there are little of no breezes.

What type of budget do you have for your accommodations?
Jul 7th, 2018, 12:25 PM

September is the height of the hurricane season in the Caribbean.
Jul 7th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Hmm... hurricane season, well maybe the bugs, heat and humidity should be the least of our concerns. Thanks for your comments.

Roams Around.. Thanks for the link. I did check out the weather link and thought maybe rain might be a bigger issue than bugs and humidity, but with the hurricane issue I think it is back to the drawing board.
Budget is not our biggest concern, we are just looking somewhere we can kick back and relax. We just got back from a wonderful but taxing trip to Africa. Saw so much and were constantly on the go for over a month.. We needed to come home for a rest. LOL. DH remarked that he hoped the next vacation was laying on a beach. So I have been trying to come up with something different, and relaxing. A week to 10 days would be just about right.

Last edited by PatEE; Jul 7th, 2018 at 09:23 PM.
Jul 7th, 2018, 10:39 PM

Cuba isnít the first place Iíd think of for a relaxing beach vacation. Lots of people visit Varadero but I didnít care for it. Food & drink at the hotel was pretty poor but you donít go to Cuba for that. The hotel was 5 star & expensive but was more like 3 star. Beach & sea was nice but nothing more & thereís nowhere to go outside the hotel. There are other beach destinations in Cuba that could be better.
Jul 8th, 2018, 05:11 AM

... hoped the next vacation was laying on a beach
Where are you based, and how far are you willing to go? If you are in the US, how about California or Oregon? I'm not a beach person, but the Oregon beaches looked good to me, and September shouldn't be too late. Shouldn't be too late for southern Europe either - Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, western Balkans...

Have no idea about AI in those places, not my thing.
Jul 8th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

We are Canadian snowbirds and spend our winters in mostly AZ. We battle keeping within our allowed days in the US, so was looking for something not based in the US.
Thanks for the suggestions. Did Spain and Portugal a couple of years ago but will give some consideration to your other suggestions.
Thanks for bringing hurricane season to my attention, I had not thought of that.
Jul 8th, 2018, 09:12 AM

I live in NC, so hurricanes are a familiar concern. In fact I was just reading that the first of the season may be headed our way....
Jul 12th, 2018, 10:56 AM

PatEE - a lot of Canadians go to the Caya Santa Maria on the north coast of Cuba [I think that there are direct flights] but further east than Varadero and when we went there for a day trip [at the suggestion of a taxi driver in Havana who said it was the nicest place in Cuba] it did seem lovely. I wouldn't want to be there in a hurricane though. January was perfect for us.
Jul 15th, 2018, 09:43 AM

"hurricane season, well maybe the bugs, heat and humidity should be the least of our concerns"

Precisely!! I think coastal Mexico offers what you seek. But same problem with the weather there in September as in the Caribbean.

If you waited until Nov or Dec to celebrate, I could recommend Puerto Vallarta Mexico (i vacation there 2x/yr and it offers what you ask for).

If you want to stick to September... how about Hawaii?
Jul 15th, 2018, 03:30 PM

>>how about Hawaii?<<

OP said they'd like to base outside the US for visa purposes.

With Sept being hurricane season I'd avoid the Caribbean and Gulf coast. Sept isn't great in Baja either. If you can move your celebration to later in the year you'll have a lot more options.