Weather in Cuba in the fall?

Jun 28th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Wendy

Weather in Cuba in the fall?

We are thinking of travelling to Cuba this fall- Oct or November. What kind of weather should we expect? Will it be warm enough to swim and lay on the beach? Is this hurricane season? Searched around but couldn't seem to find anything- info is appreciated!

Jun 28th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Susan

Are you flying out of Canada?

As far as I know, the United States still does NOT do business with the Cubans...don't you remember the Cuban Missle Crisis?

Jun 28th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Wendy

Hi Susan,

My question was in regards to weather. I don't remember asking about the politics of the USA but thanks for the note.

Jun 28th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Mel

Wendy,
You couldn't have searched too hard.... but here goes.
Hurricane season is from June to November with the most activity in August and September. Cuba does get hurricanes. However at that time of year most of the time it is hot and sunny with some rain almost every day. Brief but hard downpours.
You seemed to take offense at Susan's post but her point is valid. US citizens travel to Cuba is restricted. You can get around it by flying from Canada however. Just make sure they don't stamp your passport in Cuba, it could cause you trouble when you come home.
Castro may not like capitalism but they sure love American dollars down there. Be prepared for poverty and don't expect 5 star resorts, you'll be fine.

Jun 28th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Wendy

Mel thanks for your info on the weather. I actually searched around Conde Nast, Fodors and a Cuba travel site and couldn't come up with the info you found.

As far as Susan's comments go of course I know about the restrictions to Cuba- you'd have to live in a cage not to. Does that mean I agree with them? who knows? Does it imply that I am an American? Who knows? What if I am a Canadian citizan? I was just pointing out that her post had NOTHING to do with my question.

I'm sure that sounds hostile- it's not meant to be. I just get very tired of the rightousness on this site some times.

I do appreciate your information. Thank you!

Jun 28th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Melissa

Are we all supposed to be Americans to use this web site? I sorry I didn't realize...I guess I should stop using this site than cause darn it, I am Canadian.

Jun 28th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Mel

Wendy,
Glad to help. Didn't mean to imply that you lived in a cave, I hope you know I wasn't being self righteous, just trying to inform. Believe it or not, not everyone knows that US citizens cannot travel freely to Cuba.
As for Susan's comment about the Cuban missile crisis....imo it's absurd to haul out a 40 year old issue to justify travel restrictions in 2002.

Jun 28th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Kathy

Hi , I have been to Cuba twice in October and both times the weather was fantastic.... no rain

Jun 28th, 2002, 08:14 PM
kris

Cuba did take a beating by Hurricane Michelle just last year at that time. Started around Honduras 10/29/01 and made it to the Bahamas around 11/5/01. Cuba took a direct hit. But what are the odds of that 2 years in a row?

Jun 29th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Franck

hello
October is the end of the rainy season and goind to the dry season . A good time to go .
Visit
http://www.w-i-t.com/guesthouse.html for private accommodations .
Have a nice trip
F

Jul 1st, 2002, 09:09 AM
Wendy

Great info you guys! Frank- thanks for the link on accomidations.

Kathy- can you tell me a bit about your trips? Did you ever post a trip report? We are not sure if we will do an all inclusive or just a normal hotel. Any info you can provide on things you did, things you liked, things you didn't like or wouldn't do again would be great.

You can email me directly if you'd rather!

Wendy

Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:39 AM
kate

Wendy, if you're looking for a beach holiday then virtually all the resort hotels are all-inclusive, and this is the best way to go. Cuba is not known for its restaurants, but the all-inclusive beach hotels have much better food (it's flown in from Canada or Mexico). Go for at least a 4 star for comfort and better facilities.

Try and combine a beach holiday with some time in either Havana or Santiago de Cuba, or hiring a car and travelling around if you're a confident driver (the roads and signage are awful). Staying at a resort will be relaxing and luxurious but is not the real Cuba.

And whatever you do, don't go to Varadero.

Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
Wendy

Thanks Kate, what's up with Veradero?

Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:20 PM
ss

What's wrong with Varadero? We were there in march and loved it. Felt very safe in town. STayed AI at Beaches Varadero. Going back in november.

Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:32 PM
BILL

TO SS,,
Talk to me about BEACHES VARADERO, as we are going in October.
Your info., would be appreciated !
Isn't it nice to be able to travel, without travel restrictions ?

Jul 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM

ttt

Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Nell

Hi Everyone,

I stayed both:

1.) At Beaches
2.) The week of October 13, 2002 - October 21, 2002

The resort was very lovely. It was very clean, lots of activities, the beach was beautiful and the food was very good. The staff ws very friendly. The shows were typical "resort shows." Teh weather was not the greatest. But, it was nice the first four days. te next three, it rained a few times, for about 10 minutes, and remained over-cast. However I still came back with a great tan. It is true that Varadero is not the true true Cuba, as it is a tourist district. But, you can rent a moped and ride to Matanzas or you can go on day excursions. A lot o travelling companies now offer 3 days in Havana and 4 days and Varadero. It is a good mix.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:34 AM
Wendy

Nell,

Thanks for the info. We are thinking of doing 7 days at Beaches Verado and 3 days in Havana at the Parque Central. Hopefully that will give us a chance to relax, tan and learn a bit about Cuba.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:00 PM
Wendy

Really bad spelling today! Meant Varadero.

Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:35 PM
tornado

Wendy if you were as hip as you would like to have everyone believe, you would know the hurricane season is june thru nov. for the Caribbean.
How many dozens of times is that question asked! One doesn't have to have a doctorate in meteorology to know
or get that info.
Have a good time in Cuba, if you go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO