Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cuba for only 5.5 days, worth while to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be backpacking in Mexico, Guatemala and Belize for 5 weeks in Jan/Feb 2009. I might have the opportunity to meet some friends in Havana around the time my trip finishes

Would it be worth my while to go to Havana for a full 5.5 days/6 nights (not including the day I leave). I'd be arriving from Cancun - return airfare is less than $300 USD right now.

Or should I just skip Cuba this time around and go when I have more time? I'm Canadian so there's no legal issue about me flying there.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Yes, definitely visit. Havana is one of the world's most interesting, and photogenic, cities.

It must be nice to be from a country that does not restrict its citizens' right to travel.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
cw

Agree absolutely, especially since you'll be so close by. In 5 days you'll be able to see a lot of Havana. Fascinating country and Havana has many interesting places to visit. The Cuban people are friendly and welcoming.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I'm glad to hear this because I really want to go but people have suggested that I should save it for when I can see more of Cuba and not just Havana.

Should I even consider Trinidad or just stick with Havana?
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Jed

Go with the opportunity, since you will be near there. You will have an interesting time. And you can go back later if you wish.

<It must be nice to be from a country that does not restrict its citizens' right to travel.>

Well, America isn't perfect, but neither is any other country. It can't be that bad, considering all the people who want to come here

Restrictions? Look at Cuba for real restrictions.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Jed, that's true, but I would much prefer some consistency, and I have traveled to Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, the Stans (many of which are not democracies) and next year will visit Syria. But, those countries don't have large, vocal voting constituencies in the United States.

And, as an American, I would prefer it we strived for perfection, and didn't spend our time limiting our freedoms based on political expediency.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Absolutely go. I've been going to Havana for 10 years now and love the city. It's not perfect, but there's a life and vibrancy that the Cuban culture provides that's amazing. So many little cafes/bars with great bands and amazing music.

While 5 or 6 days isn't a lot, one thing you might consider is to take a day trip (available from most hotel tour desks) to the Vinales Valley, about 225 km west of Havana. The scenery is stunning and it's the world's best tobacco growing region where Cuba's famous cigars are produced.

You'll really only get a "skim the surface" Cuba experience in 5 days, but for sure it will leave you wanting more.

Here's a travel thread I wrote specifically for seeing Havana. It's from another Cuba travel forum but it will give you some ideas and starting points for sightseeing in Havana.

http://www.7daysinparadise.com/smf/i...p?topic=6052.0

Enjoy yourself.

Steve
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Jed

BTW, I strongly support ending US restrictions on travel to Cuba.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Cuba is a beautiful island. I was born and raised in Habana,cuba and came to the US when I was 12 yrs old. I love the beaches (esp Cayo Coco , guillermo, and varadero).

I strongly support lifting the embargo and travel restrictions to Cuba. It even makes it very difficult for us to go visit our family (only every other 3 yrs/expensive)

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I was looking for travel info on Cuba and found your message. My husband is British and can travel to Cuba as he likes. I am American. He says if we fly to Cancun and then Havana, we would be fine. (we are looking for a destination for Christmas) Is this true? Should I have any cause for worry if we go?

Thanks!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I've read somewhere that when entering back into the USA if they see you have been to Cuba there can be serious fines. I believ the couple from Chicago or Arizona was charged $7,500 per person! That may be old but I believe it's still aganist the law for an US citizen to visit Cube no matter how they get there.

I too support lifting the embargo & travel restrictions to Cuba. The only people we are hurting are the working class not Castro and his friends. Let's have open dialoque without pre-conditions!
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM

My spelling is terrible. Sorry.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 05:36 PM

No, do go!
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Maria:
the embargo prohibits Americans from spending money while in Cuba. Although it's true that you could fly to Cuba from Mexico, Bahamas, Jamaica, Grand Cayman to Habana, i think you'd be taking a chance. I have heard of people getting hefty fines for doing this.I think it's ridiculous.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I think the embargo is ridiculous.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 03:20 PM

I've just returned from a week in Havana and would definitely recommend visiting.
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM

We have visited Cuba twice in the last 5 years, yes go to Havana it is a fascinating place. Trinidad might be a bit of a push for you if you only have 5 days, it will take you almost a whole day by coach from Havana to Trinidad.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Havana is worth the 55 days alone...we were there a few years back on an approved visit (humanitarian reasons)...found the city to be intriguing, very welcoming, great food choices and very colorful sights. We stayed in old town (Vieja Habana) and that's where it's happening! Don't miss the chance!

stu t.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM

I would further suggest that the Hotel Conde de Villanueva in Vieja Habana (old town) is excellent...fairly small, wonderfully located in the heart of that district...elegant atrium, friendly, helpful staff.

stu t.