5 days in Havana

Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in Havana

We are traveling to Cuba towards the end of July but will only have 5 days. I have done a ton of research and have a general idea of what we will do(mostly walk around and explore). But I would love to get any suggestions, tips, etc.

We are trying to keep the trip as inexpensive as possible.
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 02:09 PM

Hi DMV,

with that sort of time and budget, the obvious answer is to spend the whole time in Havana where you should find more than enough to occupy yourselves for the 5 days.

Casas Particulars are generally cheap; they cost far less than a hotel and if you choose well, you may get to see a slice of Havana life as well as meeting a range of other foreign travellers. You can also cut costs by using the communal taxis which serve Havana, eating in less plush places [or in your casa] and where possible paying for things in the local currency [CUPS] as opposed to CUCs which are aimed at foreigners and which you will need to pay your casa owner, taxi driver, restaurants, etc. [there was a suggestion that CUPS were going to be abolished when we visited in Jan '16 but I don't know if that has been put into practice yet - google suggests that it's still in use].

Have great time - Cuba is great fun and you should have a blast.
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 03:42 AM

Too many mojitos again?

It's the CUC that is planned to be done away with, not the CUP.
And as of this post, both are still in use.
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 12:41 PM

sadly not enough mojitos, SC.

As as you say both currencies are still legal tender, the point would appear to be moot.

Do you have anything helpful to tell the OP?
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 03:18 PM

I did in fact, on the forums where she got accurate and useful advice from people who know Cuba.
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 09:51 AM

If you have not been apprised of a wonderful magazine on the web regarding Cuba, namely Habana, might I suggest that you consult www.LaHabana.com? I've been reading it monthly on the internet for over a year and have jotted down places to go and see while in this wonderful city. You'll get restaurant suggestions and recommendations, cultural activities to attend as well as in which to participate and articles of interest.

Lastly, it would be highly advisable that you know a little Espanol if you do not already, especially basic words. I found out the hard way last month when I was booked into a wonderful and centrally located casa particular. My young and very amiable taxi driver let me know from the beginning that his Ingles was almost nil. When we arrived at the casa, the gentleman who answered the door could only converse in the native language; the son who owned the casa was conversant in English, but his mother, a lovely senora, was not.

One night I journeyed to the Jazz Cafe and returned to the casa at around 1:00 A. M. Because there were three gates/doors to enter-- I had to ring the door bell to get into the third one. The man who opened the door wanted to ask me some questions, but I could not respond. He showed me his time schedule, but I did not know what he was asking me but assumed that he was tempting to tell me that he'd waited for my return and would like to be compensated for it. In English I told him that I'd discuss it with Daniel the next day. Well, unfortunately, the next day arrived; Daniel was not at the casa, and I was in the process of checking out and making arrangements to return to the States because of my very painful lower back and upper hip. ...can't speak Espanol, unfortunately, and the tour guide whom I was to have met on that upcoming Monday, did NOT give me any advice or suggestions. So, I found out the hard way: know some Spanish and/or have an electronic translator or a phone that can do the translating. Remember: wi fi and other techno is not as wide spread yet in Cuba as it is in other parts of our world.

Do go and enjoy immensely; I have during my two and one half trips to this largest of countries in the Caribbean.

[I will send Daniel and email right now to inquire about the night watchperson's request; if he were asking for his fee, I will eagerly wire it to Daniel to give to him.] BTW the casa was great in terms of price, location, ambience, comfort, the personnel and the owners, mother and son!]
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 06:29 PM

Sorry you had to curtail your trip. Sounds like you were having a good time. Eagerly spend U$5 on Western Union fees to wire a couple of bucks tip?