Cuba-El Senator

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Carol

Cuba-El Senator

We are planning a vacation to Cuba and are thinking of booking the El Senator in Cayo Coco. Would appreciate comments on the hotel, area and food. <BR><BR>Many Thanks!!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Melissa

I didn't get to see this property, but the only warning that our World of Vacations sales rep gives is that there are no balconies, exept in the suites that are over the water. She said the rest of the hotel was awsome, and all the food comes from Canada. I think it would be a fine choice. If you are considering other hotels in the area, I did get to see Melia Cayo coco, Melia Cayo Guillermo, and Tryp Cayo Coco

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:11 AM
carol

Melissa,<BR><BR>Yes, I would be very interested in your thoughts on the other properties.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Carol

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Debbie

Hi Melissa - yes please, can you tell us anything about Melia Cayo Guillermo? We're doing a quick getaway at the end of November and have chosen this place. Our t/a says is the nicest of the bunch in Cayo Guillermo and my hubbie like the on-site dive shop. Any comments you can provide on the diving out of here? <BR>What about the new airport in Cayo Coco - do you need to have own t.p. when you arrive (or lots of $1's) like when you get off the plane at Holguin airport?<BR>thanks<BR>P.S. our travel agent said the food at the El Senador is reported to be "awesome" but they do not have an on-site dive shop which is the only reason we didn't pick that one.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Melissa

We actually drove from Varadero to Cayo coco, So I can't comment on the t.p. situation, but I brought my own mostly for the 8 hour drive we had, but usefull at the airport.<BR><BR>We stayed one night at the Melia Cayo Guillermo. It was beautiful. The food was really good. I think they had the best buffet of all the resorts we ate at and thier Pina Colada's in the lobby bar are to die for. I found it to be a romantic property. Very bright and vibrent looking. The pool was awsome. It had a very shallow end and also a very deep end, so you could have the best of both worlds. they do have a swim up pool bar, and every hour on the hour, a waterfall comes down over that bar. The beach was very nice with a lot of shallow water, so you could walk out quite a ways. <BR>My room was very large. When we were there there was a problem with the A/C but I am sure that would be fixed by now. <BR><BR>Melia Cayo Coco will be adults only after November. I thought this was a romantic property as well. It was almost completly full when we were there, so we only saw the over the water bungelow category of room. I loved that room!!! it had a seperate sitting area and it was just amazing. I think the beach was a little nicer there, than at the Melia Cayo Guillermo. We were only there for about 1/2 hour but I think it would be a great property for people wanting to get away from it all

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Carol

Thanks Melissa for your information. What did you think of the Tryp Cayo Coco? Are all the hotels in close proximity? Which of the hotels you saw had the best pool area? nicest beach?<BR><BR>Thanks again for all you valuable information!!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Melissa

I did see Tryp Cayo Coco. It has 4 pools. I liked this resort. The colonial section is the best part. It is a little older, very active. I sell it to my younger clients. The Melia's are more elegant, and romantic. A more mature atmosphere. I think the beach was pretty nice in all the area. Cayo Guillermo has a really nice beach, but it is not really all that wide, while Cayo Coco has a wide and long beach.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Debbie

Thanks Melissa for the info on Cayo Guillermo! Looks like we picked a good spot...my husband hopes the scuba diving is as great as the resort sounds. Thanks