COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Cruz Bay or Coral Bay

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Cruz Bay or Coral Bay

Wondering if anyone could tell me what part of the island to stay on? It is for a family of 4 in July (2 kids ages 9 and 10) We are definitely renting a villa (hope to find one with a pool) and are basically interested in hitting the beaches during the day (possibly snorkeling a bit) When we visited Hawaii we stayed at Huelo Point which was a little place off of the road to Hana and was very remote with excellent views of the cliff sided beaches. We loved the views even though we couldn't get directly to the beach. We figure we'll be there all day so that part doesn't matter to us. Absolutely loved that laid back vibe though I do want to be able to get to a kid friendly restaurant in the evening. If anyone has a villa recommendation that would be great also. I found a couple (hope to stay under $2k for the week so I know that makes it tough). Is anyone familiar with Coconut Cottage or Starlite escape in Coral Bay or Over the rainbow villa in Reef Bay? Or Rendezvous Villa in Cruz Bay? The teeniest amount of info would be appreciated.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:23 AM

I would say Cruz Bay. These villas are owned by a lovely local couple; check out www.caribseashells.com. They have their own pool, and the view is spectacular (they overlook The Westin). You will also be closer to town and Trunk Bay (you just have to visit this beach). ^_^ Good luck. Hope you have a fabulous time!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 04:08 AM

We prefer the Coral Bay side of St. John. The North Shore beaches are just as accessible and it's more convenient to the East End, Salt Pond, and the Lameshur area. I'd consider Skinny Legs, Shipwreck Landing, and Island Blues all kid friendly for meals. If Coconut Cottage is Coconut Hill Cottage I am familiar with it.

Keep in mind that you will be traveling in the off season so that your $2000 budget has more options.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 villas. One is Villa Capiz and the other is Casa Bueno, they both look beautiful and seem to have great views. I would rather have a view of the bay instead of a view of houses on the way to the bay. Does anyone know anything about either of these 2? I think I would prefer Villa Capiz for the villa itself, but Casa Bueno (Bourdeaux) for it's view. Any thoughts? Thanks for all the information on dining. It sounds like from the prices of things at the grocery stores that it might be more economical to just eat out.
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 04:44 AM

There's a very positive and detailed review on Casa Bueno from November 09 here:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.co...09125532.shtml
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

That was really helpful, now if I could just find one for Capiz. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 03:20 AM

If you do a Goggle search on Villa Capiz there are several links from people who are contemplating staying there or have stayed there. Some with e-mail addresses. This should help in your decision.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

I've decided on Villa Capiz. Crossing my fingers!
Thanks everyone for your help.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 02:18 AM

What happened to your $2,000/week budget for a family of four? Villa Capiz looks verylovely, but it is well over your original amount ---at $3150/week. Also, for what it's worth, Gifft Hill would not be my choice for an area of the island .
(Like Roberto, I much prefer the Coral Bay side, its views, the village, and the surrounding area, as it has a much more rural feel than the other side of the island--which may or may not matter to you.
Regardless-- You will love St John!
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM

Check out www.condocruzbay.com
Our friends own it , and although it is a one bedroom, you may be able to make it work with the pullout couch etc.
Nice pool, walking distance to Cruz Bay. Taxis will bring you right to your doorstep after a day at the beach and you can
walk to town for meals shopping etc. Just an idea. Wish we were going
Sherri
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM

Whether you stay in Cruz or Coral Bay you are still only minutes from beaches and honestly they are all lovely. Just don't expect to park in cruz bay.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM

There is parking in Cruz Bay. There is a lot called SlimMan's for $10 for the evening. Sorry didn't check the other rates. I also believe there is another lot in town where the old Front Door used to be.