Crime St John

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:46 PM
marlene

Crime St John

My husband and I are taking our second trip to saint john this november and I have been reading the message boards. Many of the messages indicate that there has been crime in the villas of st john, robberies etc...Is this hotel propoganda or is there truth to the stories? any help

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Stopscaingpeople

People on this board have a mission to scare people.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 08:01 PM
Karen

There was a series of break ins in some of the villas on St. John which seemed to be concentrated in one area during a period of time this Spring into the Summer. The island is very aware and has taken steps to reduce and eliminate this problem as have the local population and the police. It behooves anyone traveling anywhere to lock up and put away valuables and to lock up when they leave their villa, suite or hotel room no matter what island. It seems that the intruders were after "easy" cash, jewelry and other items that were often left out or unattended.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:52 AM
chazz

Perhaps you've already seen it, but there is additional info. on this topic at www.usvi-on-line.com (look in travel forum - archives).

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:07 AM
JR

The crime situation in the USVI has convinced me to cancel my trip (I was supposed to leave the day after tommorrow). Search the websites for the local newspaper using CRIME in the search engine. You won't like what you see. Police officials are out numbered and out gunned. Local governement is calling in the VI Natl Guard to help police the streets. See for your self
http://www.onepaper.com/stthomasvi/

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:18 AM
xxx

JR? Is that for St. THomas or St. John?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Jeremy

I cant believe you canceled your trip to st. john. Big mistake! So there were a few robberies, I live in Dc, I heard there were a few here too! St. john is safe as anything, I talked to someone that got back last week. You should go!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:30 PM
xxx

Did you take your kids Jeremy?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Jeremy

Not sure what you meant, but heres your answer
"I talked to someone that got back last week."

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 12:47 AM
xxx

Poor Jeremy..I am sorry you don't understand the irony of my remark.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 03:50 AM
Karen

They were asking for additional patrolmen since the USVI is experiencing a severe shortage of policemen. Yes, there is crime but it overall the huge tourist population remains unaffected by the problems other than for some petty thefts and other things that might happen anywhere you travel. To cancel a trip because of the "hysteria" of some and some social/economic problems in certain areas of the island is your loss. It is not what I consider reasonable nor would I have done the same.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Jeremy

"xxx"
You asked if I went.
I replied that someone I knew went.
Little slow up there eh?

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 03:13 PM
marsden

Hey folks, it's Jeremy sharing his wisdom & insight again. How lucky can we get? (ha)

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 03:22 PM
anonymous

JR- why did you post your poor reasoning and sensationalism under this thread? It was a discussion about St. John. While, yes, it is a part of the USVI, your news references to the "crime spree" in the USVI made no mention of St. John. Therefore, I find it irrelevant (for that reason and a few others that I will list below).

First, if I were you, I would never have posted my poor decision making on fodors for others to read (or, for folks like me, to laugh at). This also leads me to believe that either you are really lacking in the IQ department or you have another agenda.
Second, the four shootings that occurred took place on St. Thomas and St. Croix. Three on St. Thomas and one on St. Croix. Just to remind you -- this thread refers to St. John.
Also, due to your interpretation of the news articles, I believe your critical thinking skills may need some fine tuning, so in case you forgot, islands are just that because they are completely surrounded by water. Thus, water separates the USVI islands.
Third, the shootings were not targeted at tourists. They were targeted at a very specific segment of the local population -- law enforcement. While it is disturbing, how does it relate to your safety? Furthermore, given that all victims had ties with the local government and law enforcement, I have determined that there is a high probability that the incidents are related (perhaps even carried out by the same person or group of people).
Lastly, why do people, like yourself, not see through the media? Why do you take it at face value? Take a minute to assess what you are reading before digesting it. I could go on and on about the media, but that is best left for another time. What I am trying to get at is that it is rare to hear about crime in the USVI, so four shootings in a small population of people in a short period of time ends up being labeled a "crime spree". Look at the crime that occurs all around the world everyday, every hour, every minute and this becomes insignificant. I only hope that you are not naive enough to believe that this is the first occurrence of crime in the USVI.

(No, I do not live in the USVI; no, I do not work in the travel industry; and no, I do not frequent the USVI (( even though I would like to)). I was just bothered by JR and felt compelled to respond.)

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:34 PM
marlene

Hi, I am the person that posted the question about crime in St John. I would like to thank the one person who answered my question. Thanks
The rest of you should log onto AOL and argue with eachother in an chat room.