Crime Problems ???

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crime Problems ???

We have to change our Feb. vacation plans, because of Wilma, from Riviera Maya. I have been researching difference Caribbean islands, and the discussion of high crime rate keeps popping up. We were thinking of going to Punta Cana, St. Marten or Turks & Caicos. I didn't think twice about crime, until I started reading some of the posts. Can anyone offer their opinions? Thank you for your help.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure you have to change. Many resorts in the Riviera Maya are expected to be back at 100% by December. You're not going until Feb.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our travel agent suggested that we change. We were booked at Secrets/Excellence and the reports said that the beach was pretty much destroyed, along with three of the restaurants and all of the first floor rooms and areas were flooded. We do not want to spend the money if the entire property was not up and running. We really had our hearts set on Mexico, but it might be better to wait a few years. Thanks for your interest.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 03:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi kathy, i am headed to t&c in march. have not heard of any crime issues there. could you indicate specifically where you read that info.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not try Secrets Excellence in punta Cana? I was there two summers ago and had a great time. Beautiful rooms, great servcie, wonderful pool, good beach and good food.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello kathy! French St. Marten and St. John are really relayively safe. Wherever you go just use good common sense and you will probably be fine.Treat the islands as you would a big city.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turks and caicos was plenty safe last year.

We were always in taxis with other couples at night, and the drivers were nice too.

It's a shame though - you never know. As the economy fluctuates, as storms take their toll --you never ever know what can happen to you in what is essentially a 3rd (or 2nd) world country.

again --T&C was nice. We did nothing but hang out at our room and take taxis out to dinner

dc
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is best that you stay home...you are way too paranoid to go to a third world nation.

Where exactly have you been reading this stuff that is making you so fearful?

What do you think is the worst thing that can happen to you?

By the way...You didn't list one place where fear should even be a factor in your holiday!

I hope you have someone to discuss your fears with...do you?
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally speaking , the crime rates in Mexico are perhaps a bit higher than some of the caribbean Islands .... ( a few exceptions of course ) T&C will be fine , go and have fun and use common sense as you would at home .
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, most everyone, for your kind advise. I have been bouncing around several forums and asking other travelers their opinions about different islands and countries. That's how I discovered the crime issue. I finally decided that I was collecting "too much" information and should just use ordinary caution in my travels.

It looks like we might be going to Mexico afterall. Our TA said to wait a few more weeks and see how the cleanup is going. St Martin is our second choice.

Thanks again to everyone!!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T & C did not seem to have any crime problems. One of the shuttle drivers said that they rarely see any crime, and if there is crime it is generally theft. He said that since the island is so small and that everyone knows each other you would become a pariah if you committed a crime.