Considering Jamaica? Read this!

Jan 30th, 1998, 06:14 PM
Jake

Considering Jamaica? Read this!

This was posted before but the information is still current. Comments are welcome and encouraged if you have not already commented please.
---------------------
Recently came back from a trip to Jamaica. No Problem right? Ha - that's the biggest case of false advertisement I know!

While in Jamaica, EXPECT THE FOLLOWING:
Harassment, Drug offers, Extortion attempts, Begging, Violence - physical, Violence - verbal,
Diarrhea, Poorest Customer Service experienced ANYWHERE, Indifference to customer problems,
Lousy food, Price increase on everything (once the merchant sees you), Pollution (Note the recent warning the US Ambassador had issued on the polluted water all along the North Coast, including Montego Bay and Ocho Rios).

What a tragic example of a country with so much potential turned so bad. Because of all of the above (witnessed firsthand) I will NEVER plan on travelling there again. Wake up, Jamacian tourism board. You are advertising a dream vacationland, but your delivering a terrible product.

Why has Jamaica become SO bad?

Feb 9th, 1998, 06:02 AM
MStrianese

Totally agree. The specialty of Jamaica is ripping off tourists. The carribbean has a lot better to offer.

Feb 9th, 1998, 06:07 AM
E.R.R.

Totally agree, too. Wake up tourists and avoid it like the plague. Go to COSTA Rica instead. Or USVI.

Feb 11th, 1998, 08:27 PM
Does N Tmatter

I have seen this EXACT same message posted to no less than 10 different newsgroups/boards. Amazing how it always has a different name, yet the same text. Hmm, fake I guess! Get off it already! No one is buying it anymore.

Feb 12th, 1998, 04:27 PM
Lynn

Regardless if the message is a scam or not, the information about Jamaica is sad but true. There are plenty of beautiful islands to go to that are lots more safe and hassle free. So before you go, do your own investigation and comparison.

Feb 13th, 1998, 07:03 AM
E.R.R.

I stand by my agreement. I HAVE investigated by being there, and the poster is correct. Sorry, Jamaica tourist board. Clean up the scene or face internet communication of the truth.

Feb 15th, 1998, 06:44 PM
Lisa

Jamaica is now one of the Caribbean's cheapest vacation bargains, because of the above reasons. I learned to scuba dive in Ocho Rios and did not know at the time I was seeing dead coral and no fish. I just thought that the whole ocean looked like that! Caused by pollution and overfishing? Jamaica is good only for a quick weekend retreat where you will go to a resort and never leave the property. After all it is still better than this frigid weather? Crime is everywhere...
Lisa

Feb 15th, 1998, 08:52 PM
Skateboard Phil

I'm also tired of seeing this rant on all the message boards. Although there is some crime and hassling in Jamaica, my visits to Negril have been an overall positive experience by far. Along with some hassles that anybody but a total weenie should be able to contend with, I have met many warm and wonderful people in Jamaica and have enjoyed great service with a smile in the vast majority of encounters I have had there. Jamaica IS a third world country, one cannot have quite the same expectations as when travelling in the States. Going there with a laid back and friendly attitude can make all the difference. I will visit again in the near future. SOON COME! Irie!

Feb 15th, 1998, 09:27 PM
Mary

We've travelled to Jamaica three times. LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to go back again.

Feb 18th, 1998, 03:23 AM
H. Anderson

My experience is that Jamaica needs to clean up and get safe or expect the truth to be posted as above. Sorry but it is the armpit of the Carribean. Unsafe, unsanitary, unfriendly, violence ridden, hostile to foreigners, a total ripoff. You are a fool to go.

Feb 20th, 1998, 04:31 AM
harriet

I also agree that Jamaica has a lot of work ahead of them to make their gorgeous country tourist friendly, as long as you go on tours during the day with a group it's ok. But at night, forget leaving your hotel compound, even our tour driver advised us not to even think about going out alone at night, in fact, our hotel offered a free shopping trip into Montego,but warned us not to venture out of the shopping area, a group of six shops, while looking around we saw an advertisement for a trip to Cuba,with the notation that American Citizens would not have their passports stamped...just a indication of the morality of the vast majority of people, For a quick do nothing but relax vacation, it is fine and inexpensive. But I certainly would not spend a thousand dollars to go there. Rob and Harriet

Feb 20th, 1998, 10:28 AM
Janette

I have been to many many islands in the Carribean over the past 10 years.
My experience in Jamaica (a third world country) has been wonderful. I have been all over Jamaica, from Negril, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Mandeville and the Blue Mountains and find the diversity of the vegetation and water breathtaking.

I noticed that everybody who wrote to complain about the culture in Jamaica, also managed to comment that it was an "inexpensive" holiday.
Well, anywhere you go, "you get what you pay for", and Jamaica is no exception. I'd like everybody to consider for a moment why Sandals Resorts would invest so much money into this Country as well as the Superclub resorts, if Jamaica was in fact a terrible place to visit!!
My husband and I have even rented a vehicle there to tour the island and albeit the Jamaican people LOVE to sell sell sell, it's no different than Mexico, Cartegena, Panama, Cozumel, Antigua, etc. etc. etc, a firm no thank you and be on your way is all it usually takes. And remember, the Jamaican people wouldn't be so keen to sell drugs to tourists, if there wasn't an obvious market there. Again a simple no thank you and you won't be bothered again.

I just would like to mention the water, Jamaica is the one island I have visited (and only one) where I do not suffer from some sort of stomach discomfort, usually people who travel on vacation will get a bit ill, because they are not used to the fresh fruits daily, vegetables, hot sun, and usually drinking more than usual -- it's just common sense.

Again, I would love some more positive postings listed about Jamaica. (PS: no, I'm not Jamaican, I'm English Canadian)

Feb 23rd, 1998, 04:50 AM
K.

We also travel in the islands alot and we just got back from a very enjoyable vacation in Jamaica.If people would take the time to get out away from all the other tourists and see the real part of an island they would enjoy it more. The south coast of
Jamaica is lovely for now, just hope they don't ruin it by building a resort there.

Feb 24th, 1998, 01:08 AM
Hyro

No thanks to drugs and violence. My people will stick with safe places that are not corrupt.

Feb 24th, 1998, 12:52 PM
Janette

Response to D&V. there is Drugs and Violence in every major city!!!! In Jamaica, there is also, friendly people, the beach, the scenery, the music, the culture, the life.... live a little and taste a bit of paradise.

Mar 3rd, 1998, 04:10 AM
Juan

Thank you for the information.

Mar 4th, 1998, 11:51 AM
TNA

I'm going to Jamaica in June. I'd expected to see better responses than what was posted. However, it appears that the negative comments perhaps may come from negative people. Keeping in mind that this is a 3rd world country, what did you expect. Sometimes we Americans have a tendancy to carry "silver spoon" views on everything. Not everything, and every person in the "WORLD" is as fortunate as we are in the U.S. Be grateful just to see an island in all its beauty. And P.S. maybe your package deal wasn't the best one to choose. What star rating did your deal carry? I really don't believe that the entire Jamaican industry is some endeavor to deceive tourists. Negative attitude will probably get you a negative return.

Mar 4th, 1998, 03:32 PM
Janette

Thanks for writing about Jamaica, I was beginning to think I was the only non-Jamaican that supported the Country. Like you, I agree it is a 3rd world country but the resorts are spectacular!! Like you again, I believe, you get what you pay for.
Thanks again.

Mar 4th, 1998, 05:57 PM
Laurie

My husband and I have been to Jamaica five times. Last year we went to St. Martin and found we missed the lush beauty and the fun of the Jamaican people. I don't know where else one can go and have a more relaxing, scenic vacation with absolutely great eating! Drugs? As NaNa Reagan would say, "just say no". Poor customer service? What we've found is that the laid-back, relaxed lifestyle is catching and that it is one of the big reasons why we keep going back and relaxing...

Mar 4th, 1998, 06:50 PM
Michel

To those who are being so negative about Jamaica, I wonder if you write as people who have visited another country or as people who expect things to be the way they are at home (wherever that may be). Jamaica is a beautiful country with a rich culture, warm people... It's all there for the taking. As is always the case, you enter as a guest and should always keep an open mind. Walk cool! (And if you do expect things to be the way they are at home, why bother leaving?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO