Reload this Page >

Collecting shells on St John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:00 AM
Pam

Leaving for St John in 10 days, so excited it is our first trip! My 12 year old daughter loves collecting seashells. Is there any particular beaches we should definately go to? Thanks

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:09 AM
Mary

Please be aware that most of the beaches on St John fall within the boundaries of the National Park and NOTHING may be taken from those beaches. <BR>There aren't many beaches that are good for beachcombing in any case. Your daughter will love the beaches, they are gorgeous! If you can, go to the beach at Maho Bay and spend a few hours. You will most likely be visited by two or three very tame and gentle donkeys looking for handouts. The are not in the least aggressive and will just wander along the beach looking to see if anyone will give them anything and if not, they will just move on. Make sure to have any food out of reach!<BR>You will love St John!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:56 PM
anon

Mary is right about taking shells. As far as the other beaches go I don't remember seeing any shells at all. Come to think of it, I can't think of any island that was good for shells. Not counting diving for your conch shells in Grand Cayman, Aruba had a few but not many...anyone know of an island with good shelling? Klein Bonaire had nice ones, but you weren't allowed to remove them either.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:24 PM
linda

The best shelling is in the good old USA at Sanibel,Captiva, Marco Island area. Caribbean, no. Of course, you cannot snorkel in the US like in St John. She is definitely old enough to do this and REALLY enjoy the fish and coral. Make sure she wears a life jacket the first time. She will not tire and will not feel uncomfortable in any way. My 12- yr old fell in love with snorkeling last year. Bring some cheez-whiz to feed fishies and watch them SWARM!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Michelle

I agree, though I ALWAYS go beachcombing in St. John. She'll find lots of small shells. I even found a HUGE conch shell off Virgin Gorda once. Her best bet is to buy a good snorkel and mask and go snorkeling. she'll have SO much fun!!! just DO NOT TOUCH the corals, whether they are attached or not. They are living beings and it is not safe either (I know, I got "burned" my first time and suffered with a hot rash on my finger for a month!) just look and enjoy, you should do it with her! so much to share and many places to do it on STJ. Caneel Bay, Hawks nest, and before and after trunk bay. do not swim at dusk, course that applys everywhere since its feeding time.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Sandy

In regards to shells,<BR>I have found and brought home many shells from Grand Cayman. You won't find many in the 7MB area, but on the east end and north side of the island there are many. Gorgeous conch shells are everywhere in that area, just don't take live ones!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:44 AM
jmb

It's true that you are not supposed to collect shells or sand within the park region. Try the relatively short hike to Drunk Bay from Salt Bay. Your daughter may be fascinated by the shell sculptures left by visitors.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Jessica

It wouldn't hurt to also get a pair<BR>of swim shoes at Kmart or a dive shop.<BR>Some beaches are a little rocky when<BR>first entering. Wait till you see<BR>St. John beaches. Absolutely gorgeous.<BR>Hawksnest, Trunk Bay just to name a few.<BR>The color is amazing. You will love<BR>St. John. Clean, safe and the weather<BR>is the same everyday just about.<BR>People very nice. The town of<BR>Cruz Bay is so charming.<BR><BR>Have fun. <BR>Jessica

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Busted

Jessica -- you need to use a different text editor. It's obvious from the width of your paragraphs that you are posting on many different threads here with different names. The giveaway is your text editor and you push St. John over and over. You do the REAL St. John fans a disservice.<BR>