Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Been to Our Lucaya? Can you give me the real scoop on the resort?

May 10th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Monique

Travelling to Our Lucaya Resort in July with toddler and 9 year old. Staying at Reef Village. Would appreciate any tips, resort reviews, room rating, restaurants and kid's activities. I've read so many mixed reviews on this property, its hard to sift through. What were your thoughts and experience there? Feel free to email me directly as well.

Thanks! Monique

May 23rd, 2002, 07:35 PM
Cathy

My husband and I just returned from Our Lucaya a couple of weeks ago. We too read mixed reviews, however, we returned home very pleased. My number one suggestion would have to be that you need to eat across the road from Reef Village at Port Lucaya. There are numerous restaurants there. Everything from a 24 hour Dunkin' Doughnut shop to Luciano's (the best restaurant we found). Most menus are posted outside the door. Also you asked about the rooms at Reef Village. The room was exactly as it is pictured on their web site. One half of the Reef Village is currently being remodeled. I asked and was told that this would finish their renovations on the rooms there. About the pools, the Sugar Mill pool is outside the Reef Village and perfect for the kids, with Camp Lucaya beside it. I think this is a wonderful resort and we thought everyone was very friendly. Would definately recommend it (and we have: 4 different groups of friends have reservations there). Good luck!

May 24th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Pam

I loved it! Beautiful pools right on the ocean. Iwent with a friend, no kids. Endless pools, walking distance to most things u need. Port Lucaya is a marketplace across the street. Restaurants, shops, and some evenings entertainment in the square. You can also get excursions such as glass bottom boat rides from this area. From the beach u can rent jet skiis, go para-sailing and if you love water, its great. We didn't find much night life in the area as in music/club but enough. We stayed at the other resort next to reef village, the high rise! Really is much nicer and the ocean view was spectacular from the 5th floor. Reefs village is a remodeled Holiday Inn, I was in the lobby but never a room. For us it was a fabulous place to relax in the sun and enjoy the water....hope you enjoy it as well!..Pam

May 29th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Carrie

Hi Monique, your husband and two young children,

I got the email you sent me and sent you emails that I hope will give you a perspective on what to expect. I hope you and your family will have a nice vacation.

best regards

Carrie
[email protected]

Jun 5th, 2002, 06:50 AM
jessica

My husband, 5 year old and myself just returned from Our Lucaya Monday. We had the best family vacation. Just hanging out by the pool and on the beach (no hustle like going to Disney). The kids activities at the Reef Village pool were great - bingo, water slide, balloon toss and other things during the day. Our son also went to the kids camp one night and loved it, went to pick him up at 8:30 and he didn't want to leave so we went back at 10, can't beat that.
The service is somewhat lacking though, mostly in restaurants where they automaticaly charge 15% gratuity. Definetly go across the street to eat. Our favorite was Giovanne's Italian.
We had a great time and enjoyed it more than Atlantis, not as many people. We will make it a yearly trip.