Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Clueless about the Caribbean - where to start reaserching?

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in learning about which parts of the Caribbean would suit me and DH best but I don't know where to begin researching... Does anyone know how I can get an overview and then start to narrow it down?

Of course I'll talk recommendation too. I LOVE snorkeling but DH does not (he likes watersports where he's above water though - sailing, fishing, etc.), we both enjoy hiking, getting off the beaten path, staying at smaller places, exploring on our own or with small groups.

Thank you so much for any help!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Have you thought about the British Virgin Islands? Great snorkeling and lots of opportunity for trying out watersports - it's known as the sailing capital of the Caribbean. It's not over developed and can easily be explored, also very easy to island hop for great day trips. There are numerous private villas or small hotels/inns, some of them beachfront but mostly hillside with stunning views.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:52 AM

My husband and I have now been to several islands in the caribbean. However our very first trip we had no idea where to start. So we booked a cruise. We got to see several different islands, and got a feel for what some of them were like. ex. dry and arid, vs lush and tropical. (St. Thomas vs Aruba) There were plenty of excusion to include some of the things you mentioned. Some places we had researched a little more, we would grab a cab and do our own thing. Also depending on which cruise you pick the islands are close enough together, that your not stuck on a ship and get plenty of beach time. For example we were docked in Aruba from 7:00am to midnight. We did a snorkeling tip there, then had plenty of beach time, tried local fare for lunch, did some sight seeing, went back to ship in time to sleep and wake up in another location. We have returned to some of the islands we visited on the cruise for individual stays. Other islands we have been to, when you learn what to expect based on if it is a dutch island, french island, or english influence. You may have a totally different type of vacation in mind. It's just a suggestion, that helped us.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Islands/countries have tourist board websites and most often have brochures they can send...google or at least you can read about it online, I order alot of visitor guides for US states i want to visit and they are sent quickly and I think they are helpful..
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:08 AM
RAB

There are all sorts of travel guides to the Caribbean in bookstores. Something like Fodor's will give you an overview of all the islands so you can focus your research on the few that appeal most.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Check out St John US Virgin Islands.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:34 PM

I agree with the BVI's. check out www.BVItouristboard.com St. John in the USVI's is amazing also.
I hear st. vincent and the Grenadines are great. www.svgtourism.com I want to go there next year. This year it is the BVI's.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM

the cruise is definetly one way to check out islands.
i would sure start at you local bookstore though. the caribbean overview guides will give you alot of info about each island. enough to narrow it down to a couple anyway. then i would head to the web sites for those particular islands, and come back to fodors with more specific questions.
decide between:
arid flat and lush hilly
big island to explore or small get to know you type
nightlife or not gambling?
busy island or quiet
ai or not as some islands have few or none
is shopping important
do you want a distinctly foreign feel (ie the french st. marteen)
everything is possible in the islands... enjoy the planning part as you will surely enjoy any island you choose.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I find that travel guides like Fodor's are fun to read. Buy a copy or get an old one from the library. Read the descriptions island by island. That way you get a lot of free dreaming, and maybe one will just hit you as the right one. That happened with us.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 02:46 PM

If a knowledge base is what you want then there are 2 suggestions:
1. Go to a bookstore for either Fodors or Frommers guide to the Carib.
2. Do some www research as well. Practically all islands have govt. web tourism sites and ther are tons of other sites as well. I'll bet your 1stt rip to the Caribbean won't be your last.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 02:47 PM

An addendum to my previous message about how guidebooks can be ineresting: I remember reading that on one island (was it Saba?), many residents have reddish hair because a Scottish ship crashed on shore, marooning the men. Fact or fiction?
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Many may not find this so appealing but for me it's one of the best vacations I've ever had....Windjammer Barefoot cruise. I've visited places I had never heard of. Little out of the way places off the beaten path. Took a repo and found St.Vincent and the Grenadines. Accomodations are basic neat and clean. Like going to summer camp but then how much time do you spend in your cabin during camp?
Small and intimate passenger # 64 on smallest ?118-120 on largest.
greatest group of people to travel with. Most are repeat customers like myself 9 times in 14 yrs. That's how I discovered my favorite islands.Crew becomes like family. They will accomodate you any way they can within their power.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM

hit the wrong button still computer illiterate but learning.
Check out www.jammerbabe.com for pictures and info. Detailed trip reports. All down to Earth no pretention. Formal attire clean t-shirt and cut offs for men, ladies t-shirt &shorts or sundress.
Visiting different islands gives a chance to hone in on where you would like to spend more time.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 05:47 PM

I bought the book by Frommers "Caribbean For Dummies" its a good start to different destinations.

It really helped me chose which US Virgin Island to go to.It gives details about different island in the Caribbean..even accommodations,restaurants,crime,etc.I highly recommend this book for the newbie to the Caribbean. Happy researching and traveling.