closest resort to Sandals Antigua

Dec 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

closest resort to Sandals Antigua

Can someone help me find a hotel close preferably within walking distance to Sandals Antigua - we have friends getting married there but do not want to spend that much money! Thanks for any and all help
Dec 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Take a look at the Siboney Beach Hotel, just a short walk from Sandals on the same beach, the lovely Dickenson Bay. It's a very small, intimate hotel with reasonable rates and a very good restaurant on site called The Coconut Grove.

There's also a resort called the Rex not far from Sandals, but it is a large sprawling place with generally poor reviews. Might be the right price for you, though, depending on how budget minded you are.
Dec 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM

There's also a place at the other end of the beach called Antigua Resort Village, or something like that. We were there in 2000 and 2001, and loved the place. Not posh, but comfortable and fun. All condo style units.

Ejcrow, I think Coconut Grove was the name of the restaurant right next door to Antigua Village. We loved that place, and I wonder if it's the same one.
Dec 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Siboney is nice, though I've not been inside the rooms. Antigua Village is very comfortable, and you can find it real inexpensive thru skyauction, depending on when you go. I posted a comprehensive review & photos last year. Just search for it here.

I would not recommend the Rex. We stayed there years ago and it needs some serious renovating. I'd rather stay at AV than the Rex. Just my opinion...
Dec 21st, 2007, 05:27 AM

I forgot about Antigua Village--with cooking facilities right there for preparing light meals, it's probably the best in terms of budget minded accommodations on Dickenson Bay.

IRabbit, I only visited Coconut Grove at night and so didn't notice if it was right by Antigua Village, but I have to think it was the same place, lit with white fairy lights and specializing in coconut shrimp. PLeasant atmosphere. Kind of your quintessential Caribbean restaurant.
Dec 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM

It was probably the same place. I loved Antigua Village, and hope to get back again. The restaurant was nice, and we had a wonderful waitress - we'd end up sitting there through breakfast and start on Bloody Marys, which she made with limes. I wish I could remember her name, we became friendly and went out one night, and even met her kids. Such a laid back atmosphere those two years.

Enjoy the wedding, Fly! Sometimes I don't think Antigua gets the attention it deserves, but it's my favorite so far, after St. John and Anguilla.
Dec 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM

There's The Beach restaurant right next to Antigua Village, then there's Coconut Grove right next to Siboney has the twinkly lights at night is a couple of steps from AV. Both are good. We enjoyed many mojitos at The Beach. CG is the place we always go for grilled lobster. Yum yum!