Clear, alm, warm water and white sand :: April

Feb 8th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Clear, alm, warm water and white sand :: April

Hello,
I'd love to get a recommendation -
We are planning a trip for this April . Bahamas is a top contender, but I'm afraid the water will be too cold. We like it close to 80'. The resort/condo doesn't have to be fancy, but we do want something nice. Calm, crystal clear warm water, powdery white sand, quite and access to good food are our top priorities... We are beach bums. Some site seeing is good, but totally not necessary ha ha. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!
Feb 9th, 2017, 04:48 AM

We really need a budget (in terms of dollars) to make meaningful accommodation recommendations. We really have no idea what "doesn't have to be fancy but something nice" means to you in terms of what you are willing to spend.

You are correct in that the Bahamas could be cool in April so I'd go further south.

For islands with calm, crystal clear warm water and powdery white sand beaches look at Grand Cayman, and Providenciales (in the Turks & Caicos). Both have an abundance of "rental condos", resorts in various price ranges and plenty of restaurants. Anguilla also fits your needs with 35 spectacular white sand beaches and 80+ restaurants but it's a much smaller island so your choice of resorts and rental units won't be as extensive, however, there are still plenty to choose from.
Feb 9th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! I should have mentioned where we've been. We have been Provo many times - and love i, but found it to be too cold in April. We do well with condo style accommodations, or small villas; though hotels are good too. Cap Juluca is ideal, really, and we are contemplating going back - but main issue is it's too $. So something similar but less $$ would be perfect. We also loved Anegada and Tulum. Jamaica (small boutique hotel in Negril) was nice; perfect water. While want to go back to the destinations listed above we also want something new but with those types of beach.
Feb 9th, 2017, 08:44 AM

Provo too cold in April?
wow, we have been in Jan, Feb & April & it has been wonderful.
Feb 9th, 2017, 09:30 AM

Average daytime high during April in Provo is 83 F.

Average daytime highs on any of the islands in the Caribbean is going to be between 83 F. and 86 F. so how much warmer do you want it to be? FYI - Aruba, one of the southern most islands in the Caribbean has an average daytime high of 86.5 F.

I'm afraid if you want something warmer in April the Caribbean may not be for you.

Again you are not giving us a budget range - only that Cap Juluca is too much $ and you want something "less $$'. what exactly does than mean in terms of dollars?
Feb 9th, 2017, 09:59 AM

Water temps in April the Bahamas will range around 75 degrees, Turks between 77-79 and Puerto Rico and lower will be 80 degrees plus.

I personally would certainly worry about traveling to the Bahamas or Turks between Dec - March. Thereafter I think its generally safe.

Grand Cayman, Anguilla will meet your requirements but are generally the most expensive islands in the Caribbean (this includes accommodations as well as restaurants).
Feb 9th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Right, mnag, Anguilla water in April is in the 80s and super calm, which is what we loved and want. In my experience, the water t' in the Caribbean varies greatly by location, unlike air temperature, which is what
RoamsAround was referring to, I think. For air t' - high 70s-low 80s are perfect for us. It's the water t' and calmness that is so hard to catch juts so. Anguilla in January has water in the 80s, as does Jamaica. But Turks and Bahamas, and even Tulum - the water was not nearly as warm; and Tulum was definitely choppy. St.Martin, of course is an option, but we've been there soo many times....
$$-wise ~$300 per night for hotel would be great. Thank you, all!!
Feb 10th, 2017, 03:42 AM

Weather is subjective, and never guaranteed

Tulum is exactly the same plane as Anguilla, so past travels don't mean that's the norm!

I've been to Anguilla and Tci on the same January trip and froze in Anguilla and was fine in Tci. As a matter of fact that same January had a cold wavy front everywhere but Tci, so Sports Illustraded flew everyone for anywhere else to Tci to finish model shoot.

I've seen wavy in April, I've seen calm. Really if look at stats all are separated by just 2-3 degrees.

So that brings us to budget. $300 nightly in April peak season limits you a lot more than weather. You're basically looking at Mexico and DR (and based on where you've been might be a downgrade to you)

If you up your budget a bit, you can look at Virgin Islands, but April can be prone to swells. Or it could be calm.

Weather in most Caribbean depends on crazy weather on East Coast. And last couple of years it has been crazy!
Feb 10th, 2017, 08:05 AM

I would check to see if you can find something in your budget on St John. If the latter it is certainly doable. Its also on the pricey side but lower than Anguilla/Caymans. The temps should be ideal in April.
If you go in the latter half of April for most islands the 'low season' prices kick in which will certainly help with the budget. Your best bet is to look to see if you can find a condo/small villa in your price range. if your budget is for two people to a hotel room Blamona and others are right you will have a difficult time even with low season prices. Further on St John you need to rent a car which I'm not sure you care to do based on your post.
Also look at smaller islands like Jost Van Dyke in the British virgin islands. Sometimes you can get a good deal on accommodations. White bay is a stunning beach and would meet the criteria you laid out above.
Feb 10th, 2017, 08:06 AM

sorry pls ignore the second sentence of my post above.