Christmas in paradise - ?s for those in the know:

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking forward to 8 glorious days on Grand Cayman over the Christmas holidays after a very challenging 2007. I have a few questions I hope some of you can help me with:
1. Any recommendations on a good restaurant for Christmas Eve or Christmas? We have a rental car but are staying on the east end so would like someplace closer than SMB.
2. I have heard it is best to do Stringray City on days when the cruise ships are not in town. Any idea how to find this out ahead of time?
3. Any other suggestions for the holiday week?
Thanks!
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I don't know how to tell when any of the cruise ships are in town, but I know for a fact that Royal Carribbean Freedom of the Seas will be in George Town, Grand Cayman on December 27th...because I'll be on it. ;-)
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Go to www.caymanport.com and put in the month you're interested in and it will tell you what ships will be in port on what days.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Don't rule out the restaurants in the Eastern districts, from Castaways (at my place , to Portofinos, to Roland's Garden, Lighthouse, Over the Edge, Kaibo, Rum Point (soon to be open)... there are quite a few options.

If you want a truly decadent Xmas brunch though (quite the modern tradition here), and you have a designated driver... try the Ritz for Xmas...
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - your advice was just what I was looking for! Looks like 12/21-23 will be the best days for Stingray City as there are no ships in port (thanks seasweetie for the web address).

TomCayman, can you tell me a bit more about Castaways? Any other secrets to explore on the east side?

beanweb24, hope you are looking forward to your vacation as much as I am!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Umm, as I manage The Reef Resort (home of Castaways' Restaurant), I won't breach forum rules by actively promoting it, so all I will say is that we have lifted the level of the restaurant a lot in the last year and are promoting it by word of mouth, ie by attracting people in so they can try it for themselves and then tell their friends.. much as how we market the resort as a whole.

For example, Christmas Day menu is CI$24.95 for a mouthwatering (my personal opinion, I'm salivating just looking at it!) three course meal.

For more info, visit our website or email us.

Portofino also always does a good job for Christmas Day.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom! We will be there for 9 days so we will certainly check out Castaways and Portofino.
Counting down the days . . ..