Choosing an Island

Jul 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Choosing an Island

I am planning a trip with my girlfriend for April 17-April 27 and it is for 10 days on a 3000$ flexible budget. I was looking for a island with Great shore snorkeling and nice beaches. i prefer a smaller island since i am too young to rent a car. I also would enjoy shore fishing but its not a priotity. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance.

Jungle
Jul 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM

We are going to Provo (Provinciales) Turks and Caicos. Stay at Coral Gardens on Grace Bay. Snorkeling right in front of the hotel. 12 mile long white sand beach. You can rent bicycles-fairly flat terrain.
Try renting scooters. Local restaurants have low prices and great food. Take snacks with you from home if you need munchies. Have fun
Jul 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Try Bermuda.

www.9beaches.com

http://www.smattscyclelivery.com/

Jul 16th, 2007, 03:52 AM

You would be hard pressed to afford 10 days in Bermuda on that budget, IMO.

I would suggest you consider an AI where you will not have to go far to do most everything or a place like Cancun where a $5cab gets you lots of places. A small island would be more challenging.

RIU resorts in Cancun are a good value. Personally, I prefer the beaches and atmosphere of Negril and there are two RIU properties there as well as Sunset at the Palms that suit your budget and requirements.
Jul 16th, 2007, 06:09 AM

I think your timeframe & budget are a tad unreasonable if you are includiong airfare in that figure. Conservatively $700/flt & $200/night = $3400 w/out food or entertainment or a car, etc. Based on your budget I would (& I hate to day this) look for a package deal @ an A/I.
Jul 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM

I know they are great places, but I don't think either Providenciales or Bermuda would be appropriate for younger travelers with limited budgets.

You can probably go to the Dominican Republic for that price, or to an all-inclusive resort in Cancun or Cozumel. You might also want to look at Vieques or Culebra, but a car is really necessary there to get to the good beaches.

I think St. John would be a possibility, particularly if you were willing to stay at Maho Bay Camps, where there's enough regularly scheduled transportation to help you get around without a car.

I'd also recommend the Gap in Barbados, where there are some inexpensive hotels and where restaurants and nigtlife are within walking distance.
Jul 16th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I didn't say, but kfusto's suggestion that you look at an AI in Negril is also a good one. Riu resorts are pretty cheap there (as are others), and you can use a limited number of taxis or tours to explore outside your resort.