Search

Choosing an island

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing an island

We are having a hard time picking an island for our first caribbean vacation. We will be coming with our 15 year old daughter. She, of course, loves to shop, and my husband likes golfing. It would be great to have nice beaches, friendly people, and some historic attractions.Interesting geography would also be great. Any suggestions. Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:19 AM

3 islands come to mind:

Puerto Rico and its islands would meet your needs...golf at Dorado shop & tour historic old San Juan...tour El yenque rainforest, visit Culebra and Vieques islands

St Thomas- Golf at Mahogany Run shop/historic Charlotte Amalie...tour island & St John beaches

Dom. Rep. North shore: Golf at Playa Dorado...shop/tour Puerto Plata-Sosua
tour North coast to the samana Peninsula
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM

I will suggest Aruba, it seems to have everything you specified. Good shopping, golf at Tierra Del Sol, interesting geography, good beaches and a constant breeze, activities available, and friendly natives. A neat mix of Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean but enough things to remind you of home too. (I love the grocery store where you can get products, magazines from Europe, etc.) I'm sure some more suggestions will post soon....have a great time wherever you go !
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:06 AM
me

Not really Caribbean but Bermuda has all your requirements ,plus it is very safe and high standards since it's your 1st trip to the islands. Gorgeous beaches , very nice golf , upscale shopping (not cheap), friendly people , historical stuff , beautiful nature , really a pretty and well manicured island all over.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Actually how about the Carib. side of Mexico, the so called Mayan Riviera? There are tons of things to do and places to see such as Mayan ruins in Chitzen Itza and Tulum, ferries to Cozumel and Isla Mujeres, ecological parks such as xcaret and xelha, Cancun to shop in and explore, golf is available as well. One note about Aruba which is great for shopping BTW but it is so windy there some don't particually like to play golf. I have played at Mahogany Run in St,. Thomas and it is a beautiful course. However prices for dining out there I thought to be be very high as is transportation via cabs.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:36 PM

I took my 16 yr. old to Aruba a few yrs. ago. We stayed a La Cabana. There were not too many other teens there, and they did not offer too much for kids of that age to do. There is some good shopping, and it was fun to explore the island with an off road rental. She also enjoyed snorkeling, especially from the catamaran. I would go to Aruba again, but would let her take a friend with her.