U.S. Virgin Islands or Barbados

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to choose between these 2 areas. We will be going with our 15 year old daughter. We are interesting in nice beaches, golf, historic sites, shopping and interesting culture and geography. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:29 AM

We've been to both places -- Barbados 16 times and US Virgin islands only once - this past July. I don't think you will find what you want in the Virgin Islands. Only golf course was Mahogany Run, not much on historic sites, Magen's Bay was very pretty but the others, in my opinion, left a lot to be desired. However, St. John did have some pretty beaches, but it's very quiet there. The shopping is fantastic if you want jewelry -- never saw so many jewelry stores. The geography is pretty in that you have lots of hills & pretty views when you look off in the distance of other islands. No culture. Very Americanized -- K-Marts, etc.

Barbados you will find quite British in culture - with a Caribbean lilt in their voices. People are very friendly and helpful. Very safe island. The beaches are all public and you have a variety of types of water -- waves if you like that, very calm, turquoise waters, and one coastline of the Atlantic that offers some magnificant views of the wild waves crashing against Coral cliffs.

There are a variety of historic sites throughout the island and many "Great Houses" to enjoy. There is golf available at several locations (Sandy Lane, Royal Westmoreland and Barbados Golf Club to name a few). The island restaurants are absolutely wonderful, and you can experience the "Bajan" culture everywhere. I think it's a trip you would truly enjoy. If you'd like my "tips sheet" on the island please write me at: [email protected]

Regards,

Lois
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Wow. Not to throw a monkey wrench into your plans but for what you want Puerto sounds perfect. Lots of golf, old San Juan, several Spanish forts, a cultural museum, a rain forest and great beaches.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Actually, St. Croix (USVI) also has what you are looking for - 2 superb golf courses, numerous historic sites including the Heritage Trail, widely varied geography, a goodly number of beaches with excellent snorkeling and diving, shopping and superb restaurants. It really is an undiscovered treasure and is closer in terms of flight time than Barbados.

E-mail me if you have questions, I don't visit this site as often as I would like.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 01:01 PM

We leave for Barbados in 3 weeks our first trip. We are going without kids. It seems Barbados has more nightlife. We are planning on taking our kids back to St. Thomas though. We stayed at the Rennasiance near Red Hook. We took the ferry to St John quite a bit because the swimming and snorkeling is wonderful. GREAT Place for kids. If you could afford it look into the Westin at St. John's then you could travel back and forth by ferry to St. Thomas. Also, take a day trip to the Britsh Virgin Islands that was well worth the trip. St. Thomas has many wonderful culinary places to eat also.