"Cheap Caribbean" website

May 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

"Cheap Caribbean" website

I can't seem to find any recent posts about this website. Has anyone had any experience with Cheap Caribbean? One friend swears it's the way to go; another says avoid it.

Any first-hand experience?
May 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM

It's a reputable travel provider, but I think you can often end up on really bad flights by booking a package there ... but sometimes not. If you can find a well-priced package through this site, I wouldn't hesitate to book there, but realize you're probably going to end up at a large resort, and CheapCaribean does deal with some timeshare resorts.
May 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM

I've used them many times and never had a problem with getting the flights I wanted. You get an option of changing it. Sometimes for a few dollars more, sometimes not.

I check various sites, but oftentimes cheap caribbean has the best deal for what I'm looking for.
May 5th, 2010, 03:37 AM

They're reputable. But as Doug says, just be sure you take a close look at your flight schedule. You DO have the option to select a different flight, usually at a higher cost, so just pay attention to what you're getting. Also, some places known for being all-inclusive may offer room-only packages at Cheap Caribbean, so you have to make sure you're getting what you want. (Just like any other travel site)
May 5th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, Doug, Scubagirl, and ejcrowe. My husband really wants to go with them, so I'll let him do all the leg work and not worry about it.
BUT....another question.....wouldn't it make better sense for us to use a travel agent? Don't they sometimes get even "better" deals? We've never used a travel agent before.

Thanks!
May 6th, 2010, 05:05 AM

There are definitely some air/hotel packages that are better booked through a travel agent (and even in these times a few that HAVE to be booked through a travel agent). If you are going to a destination with charter flights (the DR, for example) and are NOT leaving from NYC, then it can be a good idea to use a travel agent who might have access to charter packages that can't be booked directly. But it's not a given. And it really depends on where you want to go and where you are coming from.

If you are coming from the greater NYC area or live near a major airport with a lot of nonstop flights to the Caribbean, then you can usually do just as well on your own. But if you live in Cleveland or Indianapolis or someplace without a lot of nonstop flights to the Caribbean, I'd certainly look into it. A local travel agent will be able to tell you which packages they have access to.

Also, Orbitz, Travelocity, and Expedia are travel agents and have access to some good packages.
May 14th, 2010, 06:43 PM

I've used them before and was satisfied... however I booked a trip to Jamaica with them this past January (trip is in June). I can book the exact same trip with them today for $1800 less than I paid in January and they won't do ANYTHING about the price drop. Very frustrating... so I would advise not to book too early unless it is a peak travel time (Spring Break or other holiday)