Search

Changes at Biras?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changes at Biras?

Hello,
I am a huge Biras fan. Last time we were there (spring 2005) however we were concerned to see housing construction going on off the hillside along Deep Bay...which previously seemed like a remote corner of the world. Wondering what the status is now: are there houses/roads up there? Do they detract from Biras ambiance?

Also, someone mentioned that in addition to bikes, people drive little golf carts around the property. Is this true? I hope not! (except of course when you arrive and you're taken to your room w your luggage) Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:55 AM

scubamom would probably be able to answer more specific questions, but the carts are used to transport guests if they request now. They are not driven by the guests.
Maybe you saw some of the beginnings of Oil Nut Bay development. http://www.oilnutbayestates.com/
I understand that they will be seperate from Biras and not connected other than by ownership and maybe a marina or dock that might be used by both - including some shoppes.
http://www.bvihcg.com/oil_nut.shtml
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:51 AM

We are not huge fans of Biras but it sure has its very favorable points: cottages/suites, food (dinner ONLY butit was first class)very friendly staff and new furniture and amenities were all yo be completed as of January 2007. Some of the materials used seemed impractical so that they wll have to recover in 2 years or it will not look very good.
But the golf carts were arriving 2 days before we left in late Dec. '06 and the initial plan was for guest use who could not handle the longish walking or cycle the inclines on the new attractive bikes. But, additional carts were to arrive by spring '07 for guest rental. Whether it was going to be 10 or more I do not know.
I do know Oil Nut was in progress and another yet to be started small number of multi-millon dollar homes I was told by one of the senior execs from headquarters in MI were going to be built. I speculate in 2009-10 but he did not say.
I would not return because as an avid snorkeler the coral in most spots around Virgin Gorda have coral that is 60%-70% dead or dying from bleaching caused by pollution, global warming, etc. Unfortunately, the scientific studies releases early this year say the Virgin Islands in general have approximately 45% dead or dying coral (therefore less fish who thrive to a large extent off the coral) and even if all the pollution and global warming factors stopped now it would take more than a decade to bring much of it back. Quite unfortunate for us.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! But I wish none of it were true! I am heartbroken to hear that it's true about increased use of golf carts at Biras...part of its appeal was that it required a certain outdoorsy-ness/sense of adventure. Lazy people getting carted around sounds like Biras selling out! Also the Oil Nut Bay development sounds like it will definitely threaten the exotic, remote feel of Deep Bay. Fingers crossed that it won't be as bad as it sounds.

Regarding snorkeling around Biras: I was surprised to hear StanKase's comments...we found it to be spectacular in '06...not so much for the coral as for the variety of fish, turtles, etc.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 08:24 AM

A few new golf carts were added mainly for staff and as already mentioned, rides to the beach for those unable to ride bikes. Biras is still all about "mostly bikes"!

As for construction - Oil Bay is a huge peninsula and the first construction will be far around the corner from Biras Beach. I'd say it would be about like Bitter End Yacht Club adding something - Biras guests will never notice since it is so far away.

Biras is finishing a few enhancements, such as adding new plunge pools to the Grand Suites and finishing a new pool deck (much needed - I can hardly wait to see it on our next visit).

Never fear... Biras is the same as before, only far better with the new owners - we loved the new interiors, comfortable beds, and new bikes.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 09:35 AM
LilRicky

I'm with ScubaMom - - - I was there within the past year and I loved it!