Search

Cayman or Turks?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cayman or Turks?

I am looking to take a trip next April with my husband and son, who will be 21 mos. at the time. We are trying to decide between Grand Cayman ( 7 mile beach) or Turks and Caicos (Grace Bay). Any advice, suggestions, etc. regarding which island and places to stay would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:18 AM

I've never been to T&C, but I heard it's really nice, also.

Are you looking for a hotel or condo? What things do you like to do.

We loved GC and are going back next year. The beach is beautiful, there are many great places to eat and I feel it's very kid friendly.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:21 AM

I have only been to GC as well, but I will definitely take my kids there. A condo on the beach is the way to go. Plus there are a lot of great restaurants and activities. It's also a very safe island. But it is expensive.

I think you can also get a condo type place on Grace Bay in T&C.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

We are looking to stay at a condo at either place. We are looking to go someplace laid back, but not completely remote. Besides staying at the beach and pool, we would be interested in taking walks to look at the sights, shopping, restaurants, etc, without being someplace very crowded. Any info is very much appreciated.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:43 AM

Hello Roxy,
Both places have great beaches and super diving and snorkeling. In my opinion Turks & Caicos has a slight edge over Cayman, the water there is a beautiful brilliant blue. Neither place will you find places to really take a walk other than down the beach or through some shops...both islands are flat and dry. Recommend for nature walks or historical sites go to something like St. Lucia, St. John, Tobago, Grenada...
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:07 AM

I would recommend a nice condo on 7 mile beach. A couple of suggestions are Plantana and Villas of Galleon.

Check out caymanvacations.com, for they'll give you a description, prices and location of condos.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Based on this statement, I would recommend Grand Cayman...

"Besides staying at the beach and pool, we would be interested in taking walks to look at the sights, shopping, restaurants, etc, without being someplace very crowded"

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:02 AM
aks

Of the 2 places, I'd recommend Grand Cayman for your stay. T&C are desert islands - ie: scrub and desert terrain; GC is more tropical and very developed - (loads of "infrastructure" for shopping, eating out etc). Both islands have excellent diving also.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:09 AM
aks

- forgot to mention though, that if you want an easy-to reach place with great shopping and restaurants, assume it's going to be crowded. Also recommend you research other places as Traveler863 mentioned: St Lucia, St John - also the BVI group.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:19 PM

In response to traveler 863's post, Grand Cayman does have a gorgeous botanical park with loads of nature trails to walk thru. Very pretty. Also, while Turks and caicos's water is a stunning blue, there's not nearly as much fish life and corals as there is in Grand Cayman. T&C has Coral Gardens and that's about it. GC you can pretty much step off any beach and find interesting sea life...
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 05:46 AM

My vote is for Turks and Caicos. I have been to both and both are beautiful.The Caymans are more developed. Turks is less crowded. Walking the beach is easy in Turks. In the Caymans we were limited as to how far we could walk. Lots of good restaurants in Turks. As far as sights, in all honesty there is not much. In Turks there is the conch farm. In the Caymans there are a couple more places-a turtle farm and a place called Hell that has a different topography also a glass bottom boat. On the down side in my opinion is that cruise boats dock at the Caymans and that can get crazy. No cruise boats go to Turk and that is a big plus to us!!Places to stay are varied. We always enjoy condos and they are at both places. Turks has Beaches which is family friendly but is definitely more crowded than staying in a condo. It also is an all inclusive. Only mention it because of your little one. Don't thing you can go wrong at either place.