Cayman Islands - Sunshine Suites?

Oct 14th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Lisa

Cayman Islands - Sunshine Suites?

Hi there, looking for anyone who's stayed at the Sunshine Suites in GC - I am wondering how new they are, what the rooms are like and where on 7 mile beach they are situated, vis a vis the construction site for the new Ritz.

Thanks a lot!

Oct 14th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Kathryn

Hi!

I stayed there last March. It's nice place, rooms are clean, comp. b-fast everyday. It's directly across the street from the Westin, which is the best spot on 7-mile beach. Takes less than 1 minute to walk there. The Ritz construction will not affect your stay at the hotel or your time on the beach. The only time I was aware of it was when we walked to town. Sunshine Suites is not a posh hotel, but it's really nice and a comfortable place to stay. It's also way more affordable than the Westin.

I highly recommend the snorkeling trip recommended at the front desk. It's a smaller boat than the huge company that goes to the cruise ships and you get to do and see more.

I hope this helps.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Lisa

Thank you Kathryn!
I just hope that the area around the Westin is still good, even after Isidore/Lili... and the construction noise is also my main concern, given I'll be travelling w/ a 4 year old.

Oct 14th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Dee

Be sure to ask for a room on the north side of the building - that way any construction going on will not be a problem for you. If you are on the beach, go to the north and you will be away from any noise. Sunshine Suites is a great place - approx 2 and 1/2 years old. Rather nicely decorated - cheerful Caribbean colors and the breakfast is nice. Enjoy. I'll be there in another week.

Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:48 PM
Vicki

Hi Lisa,

Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:00 PM
Vicki

Whoops! Hi Lisa, I live in Grand Cayman and have put up several people at the Sunshine Suites. It's a fairly new property (which is nice), the landscaping is pretty, and it's a stone's throw from a very nice piece of Seven Mile Beach without the price. Rooms are smallish but have kitchenettes (a Godsend when you're trying to save the odd buck.

You might want to check about where your room is. If memory serves, they have no lifts (elevators) there, so the top floor can be pretty daunting with multiple bags.

As far as the Ritz is concerned, you're a bit of a distance from it. I wouldn't worry too much.

I think you'll like Sunshine Suites. You can also sign food from Eats and Legends Bar & Restaurant to your room, well known for the best deal on a full American breakfast.

When you come down, look for my band EXIT - we play at Legends every Tuesday night.

Enjoy!

Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
Lisa

Thank you Vicki! I think I've seen some of your other posts here, they've been very helpful. Good to know about the lifts.

I will definitely look out for your band if I am there on Tuesday!