Cayman Island Trip Rpt

Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Cayman Island Trip Rpt

Just back from Grand Cayman Island 5/24-5/30
My husband and are just back from our wonderful vacation to Grand Cayman Island. We arrived on a rainy Saturday, we were suprised to be greeted with singing and airport personnel w/ umbrellas. We were starving since no "real food was provided by our airline" I guess we should be happy since this airline will begin charging for any food service. Rented car compact car from $134 for wk.

5/24:
Stopped at Cimboco for lunch on way to Westin. Food good and not very expensive in Cayman terms ($44 US). Checked into Westin upgraded to ocean view room, no additional charge because of membership in Starwood Preferred Guest Program. Went to grocery and liquor store since it was raining. Dinner @ Lighthouse Restaraunt, it was very romantic and good. We both had a cocktail, appetizer, entre and shared desert; meal was $140 US. (Wish I'd known there's a 10% coupon for Lighthouse in Activity Guide)
5/25
Champagne brunch @ Westin-delicious approx. $80 US. Excellent and great service. Enjoyed the beach and pool. Dinner at Smugglers Cove (rained, no outside seating) food good, dinner w/ drinks, appetizers, entre and shared desert $140 US.
5/26
Rained all day and into the evening. Occupied ourselves w/ billiards and shopping. Breakfast Eats Cafe-cheap food ($19 US), taste okay. Lunch at Treehouse-sandwiches -good and affordable, nice view (about $60). Dinner Pappagallo-Excellent food and great service. Manager took our picture in front of rainbow, very romantic. Cost about $121 US (w/ trimmings).
5/27
Breakfast buffet - Westin good (getting tired of so much food, need to decrease intake. 1/2 day Snorkel w/ Capt Marvins $70 US for us both. Included water and punch (you can bring your own alchohol) Now we're famished lunch @ Grand Old House-good food, great view and a bit "stuffy" ($65 US). Dinner at Reef Grill-it was good, but I thought overrated ($81 US).
5/28
Lighter breakfast, please!-went to Coffee Grinder for pastries. Off to Hell, tour unnessary saw it, mailed postcards and snapped photos-ready to go! Next the Turtle Farm ($6/person) Lunch @ Calypso Grill-excellent food and good view ($45 US). Georgetown shopping. Dinner Lobster Pot-good food, service suspect and good view ($100 US) Desert @ Ragazzi too frustrated w/ slow service to try Lobster Pot's.
5/29
Last full day, trying to enjoy every minute to the fullest. Breakfast @ Coffee Grinders. Enyoyed beach and pool more. Snorkeled @ Cemetary beach - "no fish." Lunch @ Crows Nest-great view, casual and friendly owner ($35 US) Dinner @ Casa Havana. I see why 4 star. Great food, service and view. Crepe Suzette "exciting tableside preparation" ($128 US)
5/30
Plane takes off @ 1pm, so breakfast at Westin. Say farewell to Grand Cayman.

In general:
Westin-best pool on island. Very friendly staff. Maid service timeliness needs improved. Turn down service Tortuga rum cake every night-nice touch. Work out room okay-but only worked out once.
Insects bites-take bug repellant!!
Overall rate it great-water clear and excellent food, just wish the exchange rate didn't hurt.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 06:13 PM

Do you know if the bugs are a problem year round? It sounds as if it rained alot during your stay. Is this a rainy time of year there? Thanks for a great trip report and it was nice to hear that you enjoyed the Westin.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

No, it doesn't rain all year. The rainy season is June-September. The bug bites, I'd say more in the summer and with the rain. In fact some of the restaraunts carry bug repellant for their guests.
Jun 9th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Bugs (mosquitoes and sandflies) are going to be an issue around dusk on any tropical island, but yet, they are most noticeable after it has first rained.....we had literally no rain at all for over two months until around May 20th so yup, the mozzies were pretty bad for a week or so once it rained.

Apart from those "change of season" occurences, not really a problem.

Also, for those who stay on the Eastern end of the island, where it is drier and cooler (steady sea breezes), even less of a problem.
Jun 9th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Did you happen to notice the condos next door....Villas of the Galleon?

If so, how did they look?
Jun 9th, 2003, 04:52 PM

Nice trip report! Thanks for including the costs. Were those prices normal/standard or were ya'll going a little extra,eg. nicer meals? Sounds like three meals a day for the two of you would run at least $150US or more ...

Thanks again for taking the time to report for us!
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:58 PM

How about the groceries, were they reasonable? Did you see Discovery Point and how did it look? Going next month with wife and three kids. Anyone else with advice for food and other ways to save money will greatly help.
Jun 20th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I'd say we ate nicer than we do at home; especially the last night we wanted something special to remember the island. There are cheaper places such as Chicken Chicken, McDonalds, Subway, etc...

As far as groceries I'd say more expensive than the US, most items are packaged goods shipped from US. I think soda was the most expensive item, a 6 pack of soda was $5 caymen or $6 US.
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Someone had asked how to save money in Cayman, just make sure you pack any type of toiletry, They are VERY expensive there. As is film and underwater cameras if you are planning a snorkel trip. I would use a small company for a snorkel trip. I used Bob Soto's and they where I think $30 USD for a 1/2 day and it was the best bargain.
The food is great in Cayman, but there are good bargains to check out www.caymanrestaurants.com. Many places have the menus online so you can make sure you'll all find something to eat.
Have a great time!