Caribbean Trip Help

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribbean Trip Help

I am considering surprising my mother with a trip to the Caribbean (somewhere she has never been) in either February or March. I'm an active 27 y.o. male and she is 53 y.o. My mom will probably want to spend the bulk of her time on the beach. I would like to have the opportunity to hike and kayak. With that said, which island would you recommend? I don't want to visit anywhere too commercial (I went to Tobago this summer and LOVED it). I would like to island hop. Maybe Grenada and Barbados OR Bequia? THANKS!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 09:31 AM

Can I adopt you? What a nice son you are!!

I think Grenada would be terrific. For your mom, it has some lovely beaches, ranging from the 2-mile-long white sand strand at Grand Anse, to the palm-lined grey sand of LaSagesse, to the seclusion of Morne Rouge. A different beach for every mood!

For a young, fit and adventurous traveler, there are terrific hiking opportunities in the mountains, around Grand Etang (crater lake) and to the various waterfalls. Grenada is also a good jumping-off point for island hopping to Carriacou as well as the Grenadines.

For both of you, there are interesting tours of spice processing and rum manufacturing plants, a lively marketplace in one of the prettiest harbor towns in the Caribbean (St. George), vibrant local cuisine, etc.

Have fun, wherever you end up!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Cal,
Any suggestions for lodging? I really do NOT like mammoth all-inclusive hotels, but I don't want to stay too far from the beach. Bed and breakfasts are normally my style. Plus, I'm not too keen on spending $200 per night. Thanks!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 12:18 PM

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding accomodations for less than $200/night, especially since you are not looking for a mega-resort. I personally have stayed at Secret Harbour (my favorite, but not on the beach), Coral Cove (not a great beach, but a nice and inexpensive place to say) and the Grenada Grand Beach Resort (right on Grand Anse, but a little Holiday-Inn-ish for my taste).

Other places which are on the beach (or very near it) which are not too costly and look attractive -- from the outside, since I haven't personally stayed -- include La Sagesse (on La Sagesse beach - quite remote), True Blue, Blue Horizons (across the street from Grand Anse), Mariposa (on Morne Rouge), Flamboyant (on a cliff overlooking Grand Anse, with Morne Rouge in walking distance). I would suggest you check out www.grenadaexplorer.com, which is a terrific resource on Grenada and has photos and info about many, many hotels and inns. Also, www.wheretostay.com includes reviews of hotels in the islands.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 02:12 PM

Grenada is on our future trip list. Was considering this place to stay:

http://www.petit-bacaye.com/
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 03:10 AM

I just can't say enough about Grenada. It is truly a wonderful place, friendly locals and safe. We stayed 2 weeks at the Blue Horizon hotel and would not hesitate to stay again. I posted a trip report in March 2003. We took 2 different island tours that were well worth it (especially going through the rainforest and on to the waterfalls. Grande Anse beach is stupendous. I too recommend you visit grenadaexplorer.com for advice from very knowledgable people.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 07:48 AM

Your mom is lucky to have you! My husband and I are planning a trip for next year to Grenada. A place that has caught our eye is called Twelve Degrees North, which is a collection of villas on a small beach. The rental comes with a housekeeper who will make you breakfast and/or lunch each day. There's a pool on site, too.

As another poster listed, Blue Horizons also looks really good and is in the right price range. It's the sister hotel of Spice Island, an all-inclusive on Grand Anse. Blue Horizons is just across the street, but you have access to Spice Island's watersports equipment. (But not the pool, if I remember correctly.)

Have a great time!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 04:24 PM

I also have been to Greneda and loved it and we also stayed at Secret Harbor.