Hotels in St. Martin

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in St. Martin

Please help. My husband and I want to go to St. Martin for a long weekend in Feb. We will be WITHOUT our kids, so we are looking to relax, lay on the beach and have some fabulous meals. We don't need anything fancy, but we prefer to be on the beach and relatively close to Grand Case. Can anyone recommend any of the following hotels: Grand Case Beach Club, Le Petit Hotel, Hotel L'esplanade, Alamanda resort, L'Hostel Hotel, Esmerelda, The Horny Toad Guest House or Le Meridien? I realize that they are varied, but just trying to get a feel for what would meet our needs. Thanks so much in advance.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:53 AM

We stayed at the Grand Case Beach Club, and I would describe it as simple and clean. The resort is older, but very well maintained. It has its own small beach, and is just a short stroll from downtown Grand Case for some great meals.

If we went back to St Martin, this is where we would look to stay. I can't compare it to the other properties, since we've only been there the one time.

Have a great trip!

Ken
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:09 AM

I haven't stayed overnight at any of those particular properties, but Horny Toad Guesthouse is right near the airport on the Dutch side and therefore not anywhere close to Grand Case.

Of those properties that I've been to (but not overnighted at), I would also recommend Grand Case Beach Club.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:58 AM

We stayed at the Esmeralda about five years ago. I liked the spacious cottage type units and the grounds were immaculate and tropical. Since we were the only suite in the block of three units we had a very small pool to ourselves.
We drove to both Grand Case and Marigot with no problem. The property was very quiet at night and busy on the beach in the afternoon. Great place to take a long walk on the beach. The only negative is we didn't find the staff at the front desk overly helpful.
We toured the Le Petit Hotel one day and although inside was nice we felt the beach was less than desirable.
I would recommend staying at a hotel at beautiful Orient Beach such as at Esmeralda, Alamada or La Plantation etc.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 06:24 PM

Hotel L'Esplanade is not on the beach - it sits on the hill overlooking Grand Case (and in the distance - Anguilla). It is a very nice hotel, easy enough to walk to the restaurants and the beach (when we were there, the hotel had an arrangement with one of the on-the-beach establishments for free lounge chairs). Akthough, we drove to Orient Beach every day anyway...

This place really was a beautiful as the website made it look.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 06:37 PM

We stayed at the GCBC last Christmas for the first time; it is a lovely property. Rooms are spacious and clean, staff were very friendly and helpful. Some staff told us they had been there since GCBC had opened. The beach/water is very calm there and as others have said it's a short stroll to GC and all of its restaurants. One of the other hotels you asked about is L'Hoste (not L'Hostel) which is right on Orient Beach. We were there March 2003,March 2004 and we're back for 2 weeks this Christmas because it's the first time they've offered a package at Christmas through Signature Vacations. L'Hoste is a low-rise Caribbean-style hotel; again, rooms are spacious with a kitchenette, sitting area, large bathroom. There is a pool and small restaurant (Le Madras) as well as a beach restaurant/bar (La Playa). They rent videos, there's a library, small fitness room...and again, staff are friendly. You're a 2-min walk from the beach. Nearby is a small plaza with delis and there are several fairly new restaurants in a little area called Les Villages d'Orient.

Do rent a car and you can buzz all around the island quite easily. We've been going for more than 20 years and just love it there.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Forgot to say that L'Hoste has a website; www.hostehotel.com I think, though that the rooms are actually nicer than they look on-screen.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 11:19 AM

L'Hoste question for Baker:
The last time we were in St Martin, we stayed at GCBC (which we liked) but for our next visit (probably in April), we are considering L'Hoste. There may be 3 of us (all adults). Can the rooms at L'Hoste accomodate 3 comfortably?
Thx
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 05:20 PM

To Semiramis: I think there would be plenty of room for 3 adults; one time our room had 2 king beds and another time it was 1 King bed and a couch and chairs sitting area. The bathroom has a large vanity area for all your stuff. The only thing I ever find a bit small is the closet area; but then maybe we bring too many clothes, (especially the husband!). I was trying to think comparing the size of the rooms at GCBC to L'Hoste; I think GCBC's room was a bit longer and narrower, but overall about the same. I always figure you're basically only in there to sleep and get changed.